Friday, November 18, 2016

Sometimes Life Hurts An Awful Lot

So I get home from work tonight a little before midnight. Tim and Massey were both in bed and the dogs were snoring almost loud enough to drown out Tim's. I sat down at my computer and checked emails and bank accounts. Then I checked my Facebook news feed, because I'm old and that's what hip old people do when aren't savvy enough to grasp the concept of Snapchat, Instagram and Twitter. I could probably do it if I tried but don't want to stress out that hamster in the wheel upstairs, he's got his hands full with me as it is.

I came across a post to a woman I knew from my stint at the Western Sizzler (LongHorn) in Peachtree City. Her husband died this past week.

I found this article on online...



Greg Ballard, a former Hawks assistant coach and scout for nine seasons, died Wednesday at the age of 61 after a battle with prostate cancer.
Ballard was with the Hawks from 2004-13. He served as an assistant coach under Mike Woodson for three seasons from 2004-07. He spent the past two seasons as a scout for the Wizards.
“He was a wonderful person and a great friend of mine,” Dominique Wilkins said. “That’s a big loss. What a wonderful person. One of the nicest people you ever want to meet. He will be missed.”
Ballard played 10 NBA seasons with the Bullets and Warriors from 1977-87. After a season away, he came back to play two games with the SuperSonics before ending his career. He played in 802 games and averaged 12.4 points and 6.1 rebounds. He helped the Bullets to an NBA title as a rookie in 1977. His best season came in 1981-82 when he averaged 18.8 points and 8.0 rebounds.
Ballard was the No. 4 overall pick in the 1977 NBA Draft out of Oregon. He remains the school’s all-time leading rebounder with 1,114 boards.
The Hawks held a moment of silence for Ballard before Wednesday’s game against the Bulls. They later issued the following statement: “The Atlanta Hawks organization would like to offer our deepest condolences to Donna, Lawrence, Gabrielle, Greg Jr. and their extended family. Greg was a terrific player and gifted athlete who later mentored an endless number of players around the league as a coach. His ever-present smile and joy for life were contagious and he will be missed by the Hawks family and the entire NBA.”

This woman was one of my absolute favorites to wait on. Sometimes she was with her husband and sometimes with one or both of her two kids. Sometimes they were all four there. It was always the highlight of my shift.

We shared mostly (many) of the same views and was always interesting conversation. I know for a fact have known her since well before 2008. She was one of the prettiest women I ever met, inside and out.

I'm not sure how she came to follow my blog (it's late and the hamster's asleep) but did. After I got fired from LongHorn she continued to follow my journey/blog and probably shared it more times than any one else. (I get notifications when someone shares it)

That's  one good thing about this fancy dancy new age techno savvy Jetson's world. You keep in touch when never close enough to see or touch.

We messaged back and forth a few times after I started at the airport and kept promising to get together...but never did.

Our big move to another state came up and once again planned to plan a time to plan to see each other...but never did.

The word "To" is best when changed to "Do" and I waited too late.



They were the perfect family. She is elegant, well spoken and beautiful. Her husband was handsome, tall and quiet (the perfect man). Their two kids were delightful, smart and a perfect blend of mom and dad.

I'm gonna go ahead and say with absolutely no disrespect whatsoever but instead with intentions of praise... they were my LongHorn Obamas. A family to be proud of and a family I felt proud to know.

I know for a fact, this will make Donna smile, if only for a moment in her grief.




As I type, know have let down people I know and care about. My own Diddy's last companion, Elizabeth, living in assisted living only because her body's broken but mind is sharper than my own.

Yes I've (we've) been through a lot, but millions are going through even tougher times than us.

Never forget about other people's problems while being consumed by your own.



To my (now cyber) friend. You were a wonderful wife and are a great mother. I am a better person for having met you and Thank You from the bottom of my heart for allowing me to get to know you all.

Time heals all wounds.

You never get over a loss like this but simply learn to live with it. You can live, I just know it.



I know you, Donna. You can do it.

Thank you for loving and following me over the years.

With more than heartfelt emotion and a kick in the head to tell everyone dear to me (including you) how much they mean to my life.

Til next time...COTTON







No comments: