Thursday, October 27, 2016

The Huge... "WHEW"


Number one am rocking my new work uniform. I think the flowers behind my ear take away from the the fact I wear glasses to see what I'm writing down or typing into the computer.





Today was the day. After four shifts following a server I waited on my manager today as if he was an actual customer to see if I could go on the floor on my own. I had the food pretty down, still have a lot to learn but knew the basics. I was more worried about the alcohol. Five different craft beers, cask wine on tap and signature cocktails. Lucky for me  had Massey to drill me for three hours before I went to work. She told me I'd rock it when I left for work. I wasn't so sure but left for work anyway.

I got lucky and knew all the answers to all the questions they (luckily) asked me about the food, beer and wine. I bobbled a bit on happy hour questions (bar only) but since I'm a server felt okay but will be sure to learn. The only other thing I got wrong was our hours of business, have changed a couple of times since opening.

Here's the real kicker...during menu meeting afterwards with all other servers, the GM asked if everyone had met me and said "She just did really well with mock service."

Really well was all I needed to hear. Mock service started okay, with the manager I originally met when first coming in to apply. There was also a sous chef (younger really nice dude) so felt pretty comfortable. Then ten minutes in the General Manager sat down and joined them.

Rut Row...

Five minutes later  my manger's boss from corporate joined the table.

You gotta be kidding me.

Really?

Best thing to happen today... ever.

Their boss asked me about the Jambalaya.

BAM!!

"It's terrific, made with our house made spicy andouille sausage, pork, seared shrimp, cajun rice and heirloom tomatoes."




Oh Massey, thank you for quizzing me like a boss and then some.



I don't have it all down yet and have a heck of a lot more to learn, but as I say way too often...

Bitch please.

I got this.

I worry too much, stress even more and for the life of me don't know why... but I do.




In six months tops will be back on top and once again be one of the  'go to' servers.

It's like I told them on my first interview at this new place.

If I was as good a wife and mother as I am a server, would really have something going on.

Time to get busy again and show my worth.

Til next time...COTTON




No comments: