Thursday, January 19, 2017

True That

This, is our fork in the road
Love's last episode
There's nowhere to go, oh no
You made your choice, now it's up to me
To bow out gracefully
Though you hold the key, but baby
Whenever you call me, I'll be there
Whenever you want me, I'll be there
Whenever you need me, I'll be there
I'll be around
I, knew just what to say
Now I found out today
That all the words had slipped away, but I know
There's always a chance
A tiny spark remains, yeah
And sparks turn into flames
And love can burn once again, but I know you know
Whenever you call me, I'll be there
Whenever you want me, I'll be there
Whenever you need me, I'll be there
I'll be around yeah
Whenever you call me, I'll be there
Whenever you want me, I'll be there.



I was cooking dinner tonight when this song came on Pandora, blasting  through the Bose speaker my brother gave me for Christmas...which I absolutely love. 

Speaking of love...



If you'd asked me four years ago about the stability of my marriage, would be lying if I said it was good.

It wasn't.

Through no fault from either of us, our economic stability dropped to rock bottom...and then some.

Then it dropped even more.

It was the worst of times.

We made it through by the charity of family, friends, government assistance and even strangers.

We rarely spoke to each other but if did, was usually a heated conversation and never ended on a good note.

At times, especially when I finally got a fantastic new job at the airport actually thought about leaving on my own.

What I did instead was to rethink the vows we both took back in 1990.


"I, Kelly, take you, Tim, to be my lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part."



I signed up for the dance, and so did he. Nobody forced us to and we wanted to marry.



It's now 2017 and guess what?

We made it.


He was younger than me, quiet, trim and handsome. I was a cute, unrelenting fireball. We were the perfect match and had a great couple of decades together.




Then after surviving it all, sometimes living a thousand miles away from each other for months and months and months and coming out victorious, have to once again start over.





You can't give up, even when you feel like doing so. There's a reason you fell in love. There's a reason you were drawn to each other in the first place.

Always remember your reason.



And promise to be true.



We failed and faltered after decades of success.

But to quit now would be a sign of defeat, and I'm no quitter.

It's like we've just met again but a little wary of each other, with good reason.

Trust me...we'll be okay and for the first time in almost ten years can say that with confidence. Just think, if I'd given up a few years back and walked away, wouldn't have tomorrow and the rest of my life with the one who brung me to the dance.



Live, Love, Learn.

Til next time..COTTON

No comments: