Monday, January 2, 2017

That Boy


I got home from work tonight pretty exhausted, having worked the past six days straight. I came in the door and immediately turned on Pandora with my new Bose speaker cranked. Music keeps me company.The first song to come on was Tiny Dancer.

Then just as immediately thought about my younger son, Zach who still lives in Georgia. It's one of his favorite songs and think about him every time I hear it. He moved down here with us only to turn around four days later and move back. He was one homesick boy, that's for sure, which only made me even more homesick.

I've seen him one time since the end of September, for two hours at my sister's house on Thanksgiving Day.

When he left, bet I hugged him for an entire sixty seconds and tighter than ever have before.



My road with Zachary has been a long and winding one with many obstacles to deal with and overcome. There were times I wondered if he would ever grow up? Then suddenly he did.

I fought more battles with, for and even against Zach than either of my other two kids but turned out to be worth every wrinkle and every gray hair.

When grown kids are living with you, can drive you crazy. When they leave, drives you even crazier. (not much of a stretch for me)

He's surprised me to say the very least. He's done okay on his own and survived without me.

I should (and do) feel proud but is almost like I wanted him to need me.

But he hasn't.

This boy...



 has grown up and doesn't need mom anymore.

And to think I thought raising kids was tough.

Letting them go is tougher.




Mama told me when I was young
"Come sit beside me, my only son
And listen closely to what I say
And if you do this it'll help you some sunny day"
"Oh, take your time, don't live too fast
Troubles will come and they will pass
You'll find a woman and you'll find love
And don't forget, son, there is someone up above"
"And be a simple kind of man
Oh, be something you love and understand
Baby be a simple kind of man
Oh, won't you do this for me, son, if you can"
"Forget your lust for the rich man's gold
All that you need is in your soul
And you can do this, oh baby, if you try
All that I want for you, my son, is to be satisfied"
"And be a simple kind of man
Oh, be something you love and understand
Baby be a simple kind of man
Oh, won't you do this for me, son, if you can"
Oh yes, I will
"Boy, don't you worry, you'll find yourself
Follow your heart and nothing else
And you can do this, oh baby, if you try
All that I want for you, my son, is to be satisfied"
"And be a simple kind of man
Oh, be something you love and understand
Baby be a simple kind of man
Oh, won't you do this for me, son, if you can"
Baby, be a simple, really simple man
Oh, be something you love and understand.



Zach's a simple man, and mean that in the best  sense of the word.

Webster's definition of simple is dead on:
"Not involved or complicated; easy. Being without additions or modifications; mere"
He hasn't asked for anything since going back to Georgia. That kind of hurt too.
I was sure he'd need my help.

So essentially am happy for him but kind of sad for me.

I sent all his Christmas presents to him with Tim and Massey when they drove up to Georgia this past weekend. Of course never heard from him, but really didn't expect to. That's a boy for you.

Keeping my New Year resolution and staying positive.




Trust me, he'll need me again one day. And I'll be there.

Til next time...COTTON




No comments: