Saturday, October 31, 2009

A Happy Halloween!




What a day! Had to have Massey at the school by 7:30 AM and then had to be at work for a meeting at 8:45.




With all the stupid questions that people always ask it didn't end til almost 10. Came home and changed and headed for the city to watch Massey in her first Bands of America competition. I decided to try the Marta route.




Parked as close as I could to the station, locked everything in the trunk and went in. I didn't even know how to buy a ticket!! A young guy led me through the steps I needed and told me which pass to buy. Then after the machine gave me the ticket I didn't even know where to go or how to even get through the gate. Another nice man told me how to scan my card and then a policeman (a comforting sight) told me where to board the train. I found a group of women and sat close to them waiting on the next train. It really wasn't so bad and I began to feel better about my decision. All went well through East Point and Lakewood. When we hit Oakland City things kind of changed with the new arrivals . When we hit the Garnet station a crazy looking man (sorry buddy) sat down next to me muttering to himself (I hope) and a few more unruly teens jumped on board. By the time we got to Five Points I felt like I was joined by "Thirty Deep" the minute they got on board they were cursing and almost defying anyone to look at them. I am sure they were all talk but I gave them no reason for worry, just kept staring at the map on the train wall and continued to hang by my women folk.




Had I had time to log onto Facebook this morning I would have seen all the tips my friends had left me...telling me to sit near the first car etc...




But I was almost at my transfer point and I felt like I could make it one more stop. I hated that NONE of my women folk got off with me and feeling kind of panicky (I guess I had the Halloween jitters) I scrambled up the steps just like my grill guys had told me and searched for my westbound connection. I went to the wrong side first and another nice guy (looked like Snoop Dog's twin brother) told me I was on the wrong side to go to the Dome. With time getting closer to Massey's first performance I RAN to the escalator and climbed the steps two at a time as they rose not waiting for them to get me there on their own.




Like a gift from God I spotted a young girl with an ECHS sweat shirt on clinging to her father and fell right into step beside them having to stop the urge to grab his arm as if he was my husband. You know I don't mind talking to people and I quickly introduced myself into their lives for the next part of my journey. He was super nice and let me hang right by them for every step of our way to the Dome. I bet I thanked him ten times as we all sprinted toward our final destination. We made the connection and arrived at the Dome with ten minutes to spare. Had to walk all the way around the Dome to the gate only to be told we had to go to another gate on the OTHER side to purchase our tickets.
By this time I had used my fake husband for all I had needed and took off at a full run to go back and get my ticket and be inside in time for the performance.
I got to the window and they wouldn't take my debit card because I didn't have my driver's license (DUH...I rode Marta.)
Had to use the twenty I was going to give Massey to eat with to get my ticket...sprinted back to the gate (getting winded by now) and raced into the Dome to hear the announcer introducing East Coweta's band. I got to watch the entire performance and they were GREAT! Not one flag dropped not one step missed and it was so thrilling to see my girl on the field at the Georgia Dome!
The minute they marched off the field I found out how to get downstairs to see Massey and let her know I had made it. (I'm good at sneaking into places I shouldn't be.) I found them on the ground floor and didn't leave the band for the rest of the day. Massey immediately told me she wanted me to stay for the rest of the day (Til midnight) and knew from the train ride down on Marta at 11 in the morning on a full moon Halloween that I certainly didn't want to try my luck on a ride back after midnight.
When the band had their picture made they went back to their buses to change and I followed right along. Once again I chatted up the bus driver (more women folk) and told her I had ridden the train to the Dome. She said she wished I hadn't left my car at the College Park station or she would just turn a blind eye and let me ride back to the high school with her.
GREEN LIGHT GO!
I whipped out my cell and called Tim to see if he could ride to the College Park station with our oldest son who was headed to work downtown and go drive my car back home. Of course he said sure and suddenly I was safe to stay the entire competition with my girl.
Massey was thrilled. I have been working so much lately and she has been at practice so much lately that I never seem to see her. We watched the rest of the preliminaries and went to have lunch together. Nine bucks for a coke and one order of fries that we split.
Good luck strikes again.
Another parent said that her husband had bought a ticket for the finals that evening (you have to buy a ticket for prelims and another for finals) and didn't know they were leaving early. He had bought the ticket with his military discount and they sold me the ticket for nine bucks. A ticket for the finals would have cost me another $19.
BINGO...I was in for the whole show and never left Massey's side. I sat with the band and had a ball. Being around a great group of teens is so refreshing and invigorating.
We all walked to the CNN center for dinner and found very reasonable prices in the food court. Surrounded by literally thousands of teens from all across the country there for the competition was just what this ole tired body needed and just what my daughter has been wanting. We spent the most amazing 12 hours together, laughed and had the best time we have in years.
On top of that I got to hitch a ride back to the school with the guard girls and didn't leave Massey's side for twelve hours. What a wonderful day!
They missed being in the finals by a mere point but made me and themselves proud. Coming in 25th out of over 50 bands from all over the country isn't too bad in my book and the experience was great for them.
And you know what is even better is that the experience was great for me as well.
I need MORE days like these...I really do!
Til next time...Lucky Cotton




No comments: