Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Trunk Or Treat...Or Back To The Doctor?

Tonight was Trunk or Treat at the high school for the band. All the parents had their trunks and vans decorated...monster mash booming over the stereo, and they emptied out the 18 wheeler that they take to games and turned it into a haunted house. You could hear the chain saw from across the parking lot.

My car wasn't decorated but I had two full trays of candy (the good kind.) I always hated it when people gave out crappy candy when I was a kid. No name candy or stuff you couldn't even GIVE away. So tonight I got Whoppers, Nerds and Milk Duds and set them on two trays in the back of the trunk.

It started to drizzle again as soon as I pulled into the parking lot and I saw Massey going back to the band room to get in her Halloween costume after practice finished. They practiced for two hours out in the parking lot in their tank top unitards. I felt like throwing up when I saw her soaking wet. I brought her two more antibiotics and a 500 Mg Advil and pumped them into her with a bottle of water. She swore she felt okay, but I knew it didn't help being out in the cold rain for two hours in a unitard.

Then she changed into her Halloween costume and the throw up feeling came back to me again. She had on a skimpy Vampire outfit that came to mid thigh. At LEAST she had a cape on that had a hood I could pull up over her already soaked head. Just as they began to go car to car the bottom fell out and it started pouring. I went and got her an umbrella and demanded that she use it.

There were so many cars and so much candy there that Zach and I took the rest of our candy and went home...telling her we would be back to pick her up. We came home and heated up some vegetable beef soup that I made last night and got dry ourselves.

The video is just a rambling short film of my pups gathered around Zach and me in the kitchen and a nice shot of Zach's gansta pants (boys...whadda ya gonna do but love 'em.)

My depression seems to come in waves, like when the phone constantly rings with bill collectors...we ARE paying, just late and their constant reminders just bring me down. My happiness comes in spurts, like when I am with my kids or my dogs and see that I am loved and appreciated. When I am at the high school surrounded by that great bunch of kids that all think I am a "cool" mom with a funky haircut, or at work when my managers tell me my life ought to be a reality show. I told them today that my life IS a reality show. A husband out of work, an oldest son that can't seem to get moving out right. A brother in law out of work as well living on my couch in the living room , two teens trying to act like this is all normal and three dogs just grateful no one has moved into their dog houses...YET!

My manager today asked me what was going to be the name of my show and I have given it a lot of thought since he cracked his little joke. Mmm... maybe "Too Much Cotton To Pick" or maybe "My Bale Runneth Over." How about "Even The Dogs Feel Crowded."

I still have faith that this is just a bump in the road of my life...but it is beginning to feel like a pot hole...or maybe a sink hole.

PLEASE...somebody throw me a rope, and don't let me put it around my neck!

At least I can still make jokes and laugh about the situation. When I lose my sense of humor I will know that I am really in deep doo doo. Keep a pooper scooper handy for me!

Til next time...Cotton and The Crowd (maybe THAT'S a good title for my show)

1 comment:

Walter said...

I was reminded once again today of a "net" you nor I would have ever considered before : 211 . That is the number for United Way services in Atlanta. You know there are lots of things, lots of situations that happen to normal folks that prevent them from being able to afford to do what is required to keep going at times. That is what 211 is for. It's not just winos anymore! There are many organizations that help with everything, including food and medical care. So when you are at the end of the rope don't forget to call. We have all contributed money over the years so it's time to use some of it.
And by all means don't forget to call me. I don't have much but I am here and we all together are greater than the problems we face.
Love you and yours!
Scott