Monday, October 5, 2009

I Have Created A Monster

Got home from work today and couldn't even get in the driveway. My son who is 17 and has waited until now to get any type of a social life has turned into a social butterfly. He came home last Friday with three boys in tow to spend the night, came home the next night with two boys and then they went out for a while. He called home to ask what we were having for dinner and I told him Fajitas. He showed up thirty minutes later with both the boys and a girl all waiting for the Fajitas to get ready.

He introduced me to them all but by now all the names were running together. I had never met the girl so I asked casually "What was your name girl?" She replied "My name is Beth, what's YOUR name, girl?" I told her I was Ms. Kelly and it was nice to meet her. They all enjoyed my Fajitas and bragged on my food so much that I dismissed the fact that Zach brought three people home for dinner without telling me.

Today when I finally squeezed my car into the garage and came in the house my son shouted from the living room "Hey Mom." It was immediately followed by another boy shouting "Hey Mom!"

I started to cook dinner while the three teens played Beatles Rock Band in my living room (the only one that could sing was the girl...the boys were pitiful.)

After an hour I noticed no one was acting like they were leaving anytime soon and my son called down "When will dinner be ready?" I told them it would be 15 minutes and they all just sat there drumming, strumming and singing away.

I fed all of them and they all gave me such great compliments that I felt bad about griping about feeding three extra mouths when I was constantly worried about being able to feed my own family of five.

After they left (bellies full) I told Zach he needed to let me know when friends were staying for dinner so I could be prepared. He said that was the reason they were all there. He said his friend Brad said I was the best cook he had ever known and that he had never tasted better cooking than mine.

They seem like such good kids and I truly do appreciate the compliments... but if this party grows any bigger I am going to have to bring in a caterer.

I guess this is what I get for encouraging Zach to get out of the house and meet people. I just forgot to tell him not to bring every one of them home for dinner.

He said I was their favorite mom and that they all looked forward to what ever I was cooking ...and they really liked my hair.

My house has always been a kid magnet and I truly like that...at least I know where MY kids are and that they are all safe.

I had a few years reprieve since TJ is older than my other kids, but now that my younger two are both teens I have been put back into the spotlight and obviously I am a hit!

Kids... whadda ya gonna do?

I guess I will love these kids too and feed them and let them call me "Mom."

Or maybe I will start cooking Brussels sprouts and rutabagas for dinner.

At least I seem to still be popular with the teens even though I am pushing fifty ... guess it could be worse....like one of his friends having a van. How many kids they could squeeze into that I don't want to even think about.

Gotta go shopping for tomorrow....

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: