Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Here Goes Blog 400


It's hard for me to believe, but this makes my 400th Blog... guess I need to make it a good one. I wouldn't even know that but when I log into blogger it tells how many posts I have written and this makes 400.


I have enjoyed blogging more than I have any thing I have done for myself in years and hope that my readers have enjoyed it right along with me.
Went to my fourth funeral in four weeks today , came home and hung my black dress in the back of my closet and hope I don't have to get it back out for quite a while.
There were a lot of high school friends at the funeral and a lot of friends from the church I grew up in ...so it was bittersweet. I saw a lot of my parent's friends and what struck me as strange is that they all look EXACTLY like I remember them as a child. I guess when you are nine an adult that is in their thirties looks ancient to you so that when you are fifty and meet them again they seem not to have changed. I guess that is a mechanism to make yourself feel better when you reach the half century mark. Either way they looked pretty good to me and every hug I got was heartfelt and appreciated.
One of my good friends that I HAVE kept up with throughout the years was there and I sat by him and two other high school friends. After the service he asked if I wanted to ride with him to the burial and I said "sure." We went out to the parking lot to get in his car and he popped the lock on my side but the door wouldn't open. Someone had hit his car (damn those mourners) and the door wouldn't open so I had to sit in the back seat. It was that or crawl over the seat in my fancy dress so I opted for a chauffeured ride. He said it felt weird with me sitting in the back and I said to him "Hoke, you're my BEST friend." (Surely you remember "Driving Miss Daisy") When we got to the burial we parked behind two of our former classmates and they looked puzzled when I climbed out of the back seat. I climbed out and announced to them that Tony had made me ride in the back seat. Tony came right back with "She wouldn't shut up."
Hopefully I am done with funerals for a while. Some of my friends make fun of me for going to every funeral of every person that I know...but to me it is just respect and truly means a lot to the people who have lost a loved one that you have taken time out of your day and out of your life to show that you care. Call me crazy ...you'd be right. I have lost so many people in my life and to see an old friend or even an acquaintance pay respect and show their support in your time of grief is a genuine and appreciated gesture.
So after Hoke took me back to get my car, I had to go straight to work. My sweet husband had my work shirt ironed and I was in and out of the house in ten minutes.
Went into work and started the second part of my blog!
We have some new servers that are great and some that I worry will come into the store one day with an Uzi and blow us all away. This new server I worry about recently asked me if I was waiting on table 81. We don't even HAVE a table 81. He always comes in muttering to himself (plotting our demise) and somehow fumbles his way through the shift. We have another new server I really like that has the same size and coloring and I continually get them confused. Last night I commented to the new guy that I DO like that I always got him confused with that doofus new guy. He sarcastically said "Thanks a lot." I told him, "What can I do, go up to doofus and and say that he reminds me of the new server that I DO like?"
The barbs and sarcasm were flying tonight at work because we were slow and we are all worried about making money.
I made the comment at one point "Nobody likes a smart ass, that's why we all hate each other."
That seemed to break up the tension and we all went back to work.
The night ended up okay, and I got to go home around nine. I had been gone from the house since noon and have been running myself to death with all the funerals I have gone to (slight pun intended.)
I am thinking of taking my blog somewhere else or creating a website myself. I have over 6,000 hits on my blog each month and google has decided that I am a risk and have cancelled my ads. Geez, I hate that a company as big as google had to write me a $100 check each month, but if people like what I write...why do it for google when I can do it for myself? I have a friend that wants to help me set up my own web page and I am seriously thinking of it.
What do YA'LL think?
Til next time...unless google kicks me off for tattling on them...COTTON


2 comments:

Walter said...

Web Pages are easy to maintain. Spend time setting it up right and BACK IT UP regularly. Did i mention to Back It Up??
After you back it up, you'll be ready for hackers. Watch out for the scam where they try to steal your domain and sell it back to you...find a Domain registration provider who gives some good guarantees - check out Go Daddy. I think they offer a security package as an ad-on.
You back up to make it tough on the HACKERS not on you.
You will Do Well!!!

Love ya.

Unknown said...

Hey Kelly,
I have gotten behind in reading your blogs, but
got caught up just now! I am a substitute librarian
at a small school and have a little free time. I enjoy
reading you so much. I had a wonderful trip and
glad to be home. I am going to see Frances on Tuesday and come home on Thursday. I am hoping
the roof is fixed and I sleep dry!! :>) What a sweet
thing Harvey is doing for Frances. Well, Cindy too.
And of course, there is always you and your kindness.
Love to you.