Monday, September 14, 2009

What a Shimmering Shift!


Just as I said about the law of averages the other day is still true in my profession. Yesterday was a downer and today lifted me back up.

I got to work ten minutes late because I had to go by one of our sister stores to get some product for our store (another favor the MANAGERS owe me...they're stackin' up.)


First off the key to the coke machine was missing and we couldn't turn it on. I don't know which dummy took it out last night, but we always just leave it in...kinda like how I leave the key in my riding mower. After finally locating the key we had a problem with the machine itself (some idiot probably screwed it up last night and thought if they hid the key no one would ever know they had goofed up the fountain.) It only took my manager having to perch on the counter of the beverage station ( he ain't real tiny) and after a frustrating few minutes we were back in business. Nice start, huh?
Lunch started out alright but quickly died. We started with six servers and were down to just three before 1:00. By 2:00 we were down to two servers and before 3:00 it was down to ME!
I had a table seated with a family of five...the parents, a young girl and the girl's aunt and uncle or maybe even grandparents (I am terrible with ages as mine is flying at warp speed down the path of my life.)
They were nice but a touch kooky. After I finally got the order and took the salads to the table, I went back to clear the empty bowls. I asked the first man how his salad was and he remarked "It was just brilliant!" I said 'Alrighty then', and removed his bowl. When I went into the server alley I asked a co worker what he could have possibly meant by that statement. Did he mean it was too glaringly bright to look at or did it just look smart sitting in it's little bowl?
The lunch went out and when I went to pre bus the table the dad was through with his plate. I asked if I could take his dish for him and he came back with "Yes you can, I'm GOLDEN."
Back to the server alley to check with my co workers again...what the heck did "Andy Adjective" mean with THAT one?
I told my manager that when they left I may tell them to have a "Shining Afternoon."
It was all on one check and "Andy" said he would take it. The tab was a little over $70.00 and when I went back to pick it up he said there was no change needed it was all for me. He had left $100.00, almost a $30.00 tip for me. I went back to the table and said in earnest "Thanks for the SHINING tip!" He didn't miss a beat and told me it was "His pleasure." My co worker said that as soon as I walked off he probably said "That's a GOOD one...let me write that down."
After they left, "Curving" out the door of the restaurant, one of my regulars who eats with us almost every day of the week asked me if I knew who they were. I told her I didn't and she told me that they owned a restaurant in the neighboring city called "Broadway."
Maybe he was just using some Broadway terms..."BRILLIANT...GOLDEN." Whatever it was, it made my shift and put some groceries on my "Aromatic" dinner table in our house!
That's the funny thing about serving...you HAVE to treat every guest as if they are "The Golden Table." Sometimes it doesn't work out to your advantage, but sometimes it makes a "Bouncing" shift turn into a "Stupendous" affair!
Thank goodness my manager doesn't read my blog, because the ABOVE posted picture is not really his "Good" side...
Til Next time... COMPENSATED COTTON

No comments: