Friday, September 11, 2009

Still Undefeated


Okay, the first picture is at my now famous Funnel Cake stand...these two little mighty mights helped collect tickets while I fried batter in a vat of flaming grease. Moving on to the ball game portion of the blog..I took my Dad's cousin , Frances (famous Frances) to the ball game tonight to see Massey perform. Not thinking, I parked on the far side of the high school from the stadium because it is easier to get out after a game. Halfway to the stadium, Frances remarked that I should have just parked at my house and the walk wouldn't have been much further (she CRACKS me up.) We fixed that problem right off the bat! The resource officer at the high school is a life long friend of Frances' and we not only got him to get her in the gate for free but he told us we could drive the car around after the game to pick her up in the handicap lane by the gate so she wouldn't have to trudge back to the car.
After firing up my grease vats, I went to film the band marching into the stadium...the drum corp is awesome and I always love hearing the cadence. If the blog will let me I will add the blog of them coming into the stadium first.
Before the National Anthem, the announcer said a few words about it being eight years ago that our Nation came under attack and wanted us all to reflect on the fact that so many citizens, rescue workers and innocent people lost their life on that horrific day. As he spoke, you could hear him choking up and his voice wavered and cracked and at one point he had to stop speaking and regain his composure...it was EXTREMELY touching and brought tears to my own eyes.
I have included the video of the band playing the Star Spangled Banner... appropriate considering that it is September 11 and as the song played, I sent up a prayer for the victims of 911 and their families ... all the heartbreak their loved ones have had to endure and try to somehow recover from. They had a moment of silence, I thought once again how lucky my own life really is and how very much I have to be grateful for... and how many lives have been taken with no thought or compassion so that I can live in the greatest nation on the earth. My sincere and deepest gratitude goes out to the victims, the rescue workers and the families they have left behind...I am here today because one of your loved ones took the "bullet" for me and my own family.
Okay, back to the blog about the game.
My sister is a whinny baby. She came tonight specifically to fill in for me at halftime so I could watch Massey perform while she poured the batter for the nasty funnel cakes. When we were trudging to the ball field I made the comment that my tennis shoes still had batter on them from the last home game. My sister immediately said "I have on flip flops and I just did my toenails."
She said I had to swap shoes with her before she would take over the grease vat for me. Lucky for her the team we were playing was from upper Cobb county and had only a handful of people in the visitors stands...last time we played a local school and the line became thirty deep for a stinkin' funnel cake.
Her worries proved to be unnecessary and I really never needed her to take my place...my husband and oldest son manned the booth while I shot my video at halftime and her pedicure was spared!
Our team "Whomped 'em" and my sister ended up not having to pour the batter for even ONE funnel cake...pedicure still in tact and she doesn't have to wake up with funnel cake smell in her hair. At least she made the offer and the effort and I love her for that.
I think I will go take a hot bath to wash away the smell because I just picked up a day shift for tomorrow and I can still smell the sickening sweet batter.
It is a great program that Massey is involved in and I hope you click on the videos to get a glimpse of what I am so excited about and what she loves so very much.
We just learned yesterday that they are performing in Hawaii next year in a parade...maybe I will volunteer to be a chaperon on THAT trip!
Til Next time...COWETA COTTON


No comments: