Friday, September 4, 2009

The Band...Not Ours Though

I just got home from the first "away" game...the first time I got to actually watch Massey perform. They were AWESOME. Our band is at least 150 members..not counting the color guard. We went across to sit in the home stands for halftime so we could watch them. I filmed them but it was too long to upload so I took this short video of the other band...it is a HOOT!
There are about 40 people in their band , but they were the loudest "little" band I have ever seen (or heard.) They were rockin' the stands on their side and I felt like I was looking at a James Brown back up band. Massey tells me that they are called a "Show Band" and for once, I believe her.
The girls had on heels as they performed...at least three inch heels and all were wearing hair extensions (it was like an old Tina Turner video) and had it "Goin' ON!!"
When our own band came on the field, the couple sitting in front of us from the home team said questioningly "Is that a HIGH SCHOOL band?" The husband remarked that it looked like a college band. When they began their show, one of them said to the other " It's like they are putting on a production."
And they were. They looked professional, polished and pretty stinkin' amazing.
The other band, although it was small put on their OWN production. A tribute to Michael Jackson. I have never seen girls doing back flips in heels but now I have.
Massey said it is called "booty licious" and I find it hard to disagree with her but was fascinated all the same.
I felt like I was at a taping of the Flip Wilson show during commercials...but these girls were teenagers and James Brown never took the field.
I totally understand that this is an all African American high school and that they always have had a lot more rhythm than us Caucasians (I have always been jealous of their capacity to feel the beat) and it was VERY entertaining to say the least.
They were small in number but LARGE in volume and exuberance.
It reminded me of my own high school days.
My high school was an even mix of black/white.(that's what it was called back then "Black' and "White.")
The blacks taught us how to loosen up and have some soul and I have never regretted that, but have been thankful for it. We rocked the house in 1978 and had some awesome chants:
"I can tell by the smell that your mother was a whale...sardines, YEAH and pork and beans."
My husband , who went to an all white very affluent high school thought I was making up that cheer when I told him about it...trust me I wasn't.
The beat, the rhythm and the soul. I'm just a south side girl at heart and I say "Good For Them."
They are a product of their heritage and proud to put it out there for us to see...and I for one enjoyed it immensely, so will you...click on the video.
Entertaining to say the least and true to their ancestry to say the most.
This is NOT a "Dis" but a "Kudos."
A small band program with a few kids that "give it all they got."
ENJOY
Next week I will post a video of Massey's band (another total mix of the races White, Black, Asian, Latino and Muslim.)
That should be even MORE of a Hoot!
(Not really, but at least MY girl will be in it.)
I added this video of Massey on the sidelines before they performed (TJ shot it and narrated it) but it was too funny not to include.
Be sure to watch it as well.
Til next time...WHITE COTTON

No comments: