Friday, September 18, 2009

HOT MESS


The top picture is Massey with her hair back in a loose bun. You can see the curls sticking out from every direction.
The second picture is one with her hair down, only pulled back from her face. She has a head of thick curly hair and THEN some.
The smaller picture is with her hair in what the guard refers to as a sock bun. They wear it like this for football games and competitions. It is rolled tight inside of the cut off portion of a sock and slicked back with tons of gel, then bobby pinned and sprayed. It could stay like this for a week if we left it...it ain't MOVING. She has to wash her hair with baking soda just to get enough of the goop out so she can shampoo it. She stays after school on Fridays so all the girls can have their hair done and then do their makeup (it ain't easy being a princess.)
This morning she got up at six thirty and started getting ready for school. She came into my bedroom with her already plastered back into a sock bun and asked if it looked okay. I told her it looked fine to me and asked why she did it at home instead of after school. She said their choreographer had suggested that she do it at home if she could to save time. Massey said since she had a "Hot Mess" she thought she would try it herself instead of having someone else do it.
I thought to myself "When did she ask me to pick up a
Hot Mess" kit from the store and why didn't I remember buying one?" I asked her what a "Hot Mess" was, thinking it was some new hair straightening product or some type of flat iron.
She looked at me as if I was a complete lunatic (she wouldn't be totally off base) and replied "My HAIR is a hot mess."
OHHH! Now I get it.
I guess her hair takes more time to do than anyone else's and they had probably started drawing straws to see who had to put her "Hot Mess" into a sock bun.
"Hot mess"
Mama's got her some new slang!
Now I know what term applies to the way I feel most of the time these days and sounds a lot hipper than "Depressed."
Once again I have learned something from one of my teens...I'm DOWN with THAT!!
Headed out the door to the ballgame to see how that "Hot Mess" holds up on the field.
Til next time, COOL COTTON





1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm down with that is so yesterday Cotton...'that's whassup' is the official term now :-)