Thursday, September 10, 2009

What a Day, I Say !

One more day til Friday. On Friday I only have to take the kids to school at 8 (because Massey HATES the bus and she has some "mean" girls on the bus that hate her for being liked by her middle school teachers last year and they pick on her) then I come back home, feed the dogs and give them fresh water...which no one else in the house seems to think they need...get ready for work and go in at 10:30 and work til 4:00. I come home and check my e mail and change to go to the ball field for my date with the vat of grease that fries funnel cakes that I sell at the football game. On the good side, I get home by 11:00 PM. smelling like a pancake and covered in batter.

Today was my EASY day. After taking the kids to school (Damn those MEAN girls) I came back home and tried to sleep for another hour. I had to get up because I had agreed to cut a friend's yard in the neighboring subdivision for $25.00 and threw in that I would weed eat as well. Her yard is MUCH smaller than mine and I thought I could knock it out in under an hour.

I cranked up my John "Dear" and drove to the end of our street. I hung a right on Mary Freeman Road and putted up the road at five MPH for a quarter of a mile to the next subdivision to cut my friend's yard. Along the way one of my neighbor's passed by, stopped and rolled down their window with a look on their face like "What in the heck are you doing?"

I threw up a hand in a friendly wave and said I was just going to the store for a gallon of milk. I told him that I was really going to cut a yard (DANG...do I look desperate or WHAT?)

I got to her house in ten minutes flat (Thank the Lord for that 5th gear.)

Her yard as I remembered it was pretty small.

It would have been okay if she had cut it in the past month, but it was obvious right off the bat that they had been too busy to cut it since they closed on their house last year. (JK)

Note # One: Never quote a job before you have actually looked at it .

So I am locked in for a $25.oo job that needs a bush hog or at least a tractor.

The grass in the front was sorta okay, but the back yard looked like it was at least three feet tall .

I started with my blade on 3... I cut my yard on 1... my nephew says my yard looks like a putting green and I LIKE it that way.

The mower cut out immediately and I switched to 5. I had to cut with the blade at its highest level and go back and mulch all the tons of grass so it wasn't piled up on her lawn.
Then came the back yard..a hill at a 45 degree angle that was only accessible with either a sling blade or a weed eater (my favorite power tool next to my John "DEAR.")

I did what I could and told my friend I had to go buy a new weed eater and would be back to finish "Horror Hill" as soon as I could.

I came back as promised and finished the back with my new weed eater ( I needed a new one anyway. )

When I finally finished the back hill, she was out front in her heels with her electric blower getting rid of the evidence that she had let her yard go to *&@# and I asked her if she felt like she had gotten her money's worth. She was so complimentary to me that I almost felt my heart palpitations disappear ( I am good at doing that...I still have three kids to get rid of before I can kick off )

She is such a sweet girl and a really good person that I know she was grateful that I had come to mow her "Pasture" and did quite a good job if I say so myself.

At least now I have it down to a manageable height and can call her in a week and say "It's time again."

I came home from work and went back to the front of the subdivision to weed eat it as well (another $40) and came back home feeling like a sweaty grease ball.

$25 from my friend, $40 for the front of the subdivision, $49 at work...not too shabby.

Going to soak in my newly scrubbed tub and will wake up and start my life all over again...FUNNEL cakes here I come!

Going to upload a video of my daughter's band's performance tomorrow...so stay tuned ..

Calgon, Coors Light...TAKE ME AWAY !!

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: