Friday, August 29, 2014

Well That Was a Relief

Slept another eleven hours Thursday night. When I got home from work on Wednesday night I slept from midnight until noon on Thursday then got up, ran a few errands and came home and took another two hour nap. While out running errands  had dropped off my letter of resignation at the local restaurant I've worked at for well over four years. Barb wasn't there so like the coward I am, left it on top of her basket where she keeps everything in the office. I didn't work there until the next day but knew if I didn't make myself do it, I never would.

After my two hour nap, on top of my twelve hour sleep woke up and knew I had done the right thing.

I have been killing myself mentally, physically and emotionally since the end of May and it all had finally caught up with me. At least I made it to almost September, being just three days shy. That's a long run, even for this Dynamo.

I bit the bullet, put on my big girl panties, hiked 'em up and went into work today like just another day.
Len always speaks to me first thing. Not today.

He was working in the office so quickly got busy doing my opening duties. After about an hour I had to ask him a question for one of my tables and was surprisingly pleasant.

BIG.... "WHEW!"

Barb got back to work about another hour later. She walked around the corner of the kitchen, saw me and said "Well there she is!" (but with a smile)

She didn't mention anything else and started getting ready for the dinner shift. About another hour passed and when I was up front in the restaurant away from everyone else, Barb breezed by nonchalantly and said "That was a very lovely letter you wrote." Nothing else was said and she continued to breeze on to another part of the dining room.

That's all I needed to hear.

I intentionally took over two hours writing my resignation letter because knew Barb would be the one to read it and also knew when she did and told her husband about it, he wouldn't.

I was right.

I passed her later when we were alone and asked if Len had read the letter?

Her always seemingly regal self said "No, but I knew it was coming."

Well I was glad that was over!

I suppose as a send off, the next two hours happened. I got my skinny butt kicked from one end of the place to the other. I was exhausted when all was over but made great money and just what I needed after spending $400 on text books for Massey and helping keep the bills current.

So they still love me and that's all I wanted.

Seems Barb interprets a 'two week notice' differently from me so not only worked tonight but will the next two Fridays.

That's okay too. At least now know there is an end to my madness, only have to hold on a bit longer and will helping them out too. That's the very least I can do.

So the dryer just buzzed behind me. My airport jeans are dry and ready for me to put in the work shirt I washed as soon as I got home into the dryer. Have the iron hot, ready to iron them both...and it's midnight.

Thank goodness I doubled up on my sleeping the past two nights!

It was a bittersweet night.

I simply had to give up this job for a while to work the one that "brung us." (to financial stability)

With God as my witness, if things somehow (and hopefully) get us back to a six figure a year family I'd be more than pleased to simply drive sixteen minutes to and from work each day and hope these crazy Italians will hire me back.

For now, I'm still an airport rookie but learning the ropes. Iron your uniform tonight, sleep ten more minutes when the alarm goes off at six fifteen AM.

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: