Tuesday, July 10, 2012

"Redunkalous" Weather

Took a picture of the sun setting  tonight. (NOT)

Don't get me wrong, I love hot weather but this is getting a bit ridiculous. I was at work last night around 5:30 and the thermostat on  the wall in  the kitchen read 95 degrees in the service aisle. (the coolest place in  the kitchen) That only meant that it was at LEAST 125 degrees behind the cook's line. All fours ovens blasting away at 400 degrees and the huge char grill going full blast. Add in  the twenty four eyes on the gas range top all lit and the deep fryers, it may have been 130 degrees. No wonder all chefs are bastards.

I honestly don't know how they do it. When the thermostat went up to 95 I told the owner "Hey, Len! It's only 94 degrees outside, prop open  the back door and cool the cook's off."

I just had my A/C unit serviced last week knowing this hot spell was coming. Our unit is tiny, sixteen years old and attempting to cool a three story house. I keep the thermostat (which is on the  bottom floor of the house) on 77. That means it is probably 80 up in  the living room and at least 82 on the third floor where every one but Massey sleeps. (Princess has the bedroom on the ground floor)

I have a huge ceiling fan in  the living room that keeps it so cool you almost need a light blanket to watch TV. On the third floor we have ceiling fans in all three bedrooms and it stays pleasantly cool if we keep the blinds shut.

With this latest heat wave my house only cools down to 80 on the ground floor during the afternoons. I'll take 80 over 95 any day of any week.

I cut the dust in my backyard yesterday. The weeds were the only thing growing but they bothered me so I gave it a trim. Around the outer edge of our privacy fence the dogs have worn a dirt path  but the dirt path is beginning to slowly creep inwards.

I love my "Lil' Beemer" and always, always ride with  the top down unless it is actually raining. If it just looks like rain...top down. If it is 94 degrees...top down. In my thinking,  that is why you own a car that is a convertible. The only  time I get hot is when stuck at an exceptionally long traffic light...but on  the upside have a killer tan and dress like Mary Anne on Gilligan's Island when I am tooling around in my "Lil' Beem."

The storms are all around us every night. The lightning flashes we see. The wind kicks up and we hear the thunder...end of story.

It's supposed to be getting cooler later  this week and I hope it does. My hot flashes have been the only thing cooling me down lately.

This heat is crazy. Add in I have three pups again that only two have a bladder bigger than the size of a pee. (Pun intended)

Still making huge strides here. We're going on a Va-Cay this Saturday. Still don't know how but I am determined  to enjoy it. Had a good night at work and have begun to stash away a little cash every day. If the tipping gods continue to smile on me I think we will be okay. Even if they don't, we have a paid for place in St. Augustine for a week and can survive on crackers and peanut butter...  and Tim and I neither one have to clock in for a week.

Seems like a plan to me...actually a really good plan.

If it's gonna be a million degrees every day anyway...I'd rather do it at the beach and not have to work.

Til next  time...Hotting COTTON








No comments: