Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy Fourth!


I shouldn't have used this picture but if she is stupid enough to post it on google images I am smart enough to use it! It made me laugh...and laugh and laugh.

I am from the south. I went to a high school that was fully integrated. By the time I graduated it was fifty fifty at best. It was my first lesson in learning to accept others and their culture.

I learned a lot from my black friends. Some important lessons and some that weren't so much important yet very enlightening. I learned to to "pre RAP." I learned about the differences between their hair and mine. I learned that although we were all human...my life seemed to have a lot more humanity. They were made to swim in a separate pool on the other side of town, go to a separate gym on the other side of town to play ball and stayed on "Their side of  the tracks." No wonder they got pissed.

When a black person is cut...what color is the blood?

That is all I needed to know,  to learn they are no different from me but simply a different color on the outside. Inside we are all the same yet for some crazy reason treated differently...not only in the south but everywhere.

Once I left college and joined the working force as a waitress; I was introduced to a whole 'nother side of racial bias...Latinos.

Yes many of them come here illegally but if I was a mother in Mexico living in squalor with  small children who would fare no better, you bet your bippy I would try to get them to America. So what they use false social security numbers? At least their kids will get an education and not have to fear being gunned down in the streets of Mexico City. That means they are paying into a social security system they will never draw  from but have a better life. Sounds like a plan to me!

If the immigration system wasn't so screwed up, complex and expensive...don't you  think they would TRY to be legal? Instead  they opt for just giving their kid's a better life and hope they don't get caught.

You know what ? Good people and bad people are everywhere. That is a fact of life. Can we not discriminate and take into consideration circumstances, reasons and actions?

I would think after all we did to Native Americans and African Americans, we would have bigger hearts.

I still live in the greatest nation on earth, just wonder why so many are still haters?

Til next time...COTTON



No comments: