Friday, February 17, 2012

It's a Family Affair

Here's a picture of me and the kids at work....Friday is dress down day. Massey joined the team during the holidays and Zach started tonight. I look a little frazzled because it was a long twelve hour day.

I've been with the restaurant for almost two years  and it has literally been a salvation...mentally financially and emotionally. When I got fired from the Western Sizzler I was completely devastated not to mention totally broke. My husband had been out of work for a year  and I hadn't been fired from a job since I was twenty and totally irresponsible. Here I was almost fifty and one of the most dedicated employees they had and they kicked me to the curb like a piece of trash. (not that I'm still bitter in the least)

Massey has come on board as a hostess/buser. She cleans tables and resets them and seats people when forced to. She isn't crazy about being up front at the door...the public tends to get ugly when they have to wait for a table. She fits right in and everybody loves her...especially Barb and Len.

Zach has floundered since graduating high school and I have been more than lenient with him. He didn't know what he wanted to do, did some things he now knows he shouldn't do and simply wondered what to do. I think I am soft on him because I was exactly like him at his age. Totally lost with no direction or motivation. Zach and I are so alike personality wise that we often, VERY often butts heads and wits. He has a great sense of humor (like me) and a brilliant mind (I wish like me) but I love him. I love all my kids. If they were perfect  all the time they wouldn't be MY kids and would be a lot less fun to be around. One by one they have found their way, each taking a different path and often their own sweet time.

A friend of mine from high school has a great lead for Zach on a part time job and actually when I checked my voicemail after getting home tonight he had a call from them.

A couple of days ago I talked to Len about getting Zach on board with us at  the restaurant. He has always been interested in cooking and they needed some more help so I mentioned Zach to him. After talking with him they decided to give him a chance. They told him to come in on  Monday to train. Zach was glad to start on a slower day.

Today I opened the store and around noon Len told me a cook had called out and to call Zach and see if he could start tonight.

Zach was more than apprehensive about starting on a Friday night and I couldn't much blame him.  He said he'd come in but I could tell he dreaded it. No one wants to start in a restaurant on a Friday night at 5:30. I got off from the lunch shift and picked him up from the house, Massey from school and took them to get something to eat. By the time we got home it was time to go back to work.

I  thought they would start Zach off down on the salad station where most all new hires start.

NOPE! He was with the owner on the far end where they expedite the dinners...he was Len's "Bee-och" for the night.

He got home about a hour behind me and said it was the most fun and interesting job he has ever had. He said he made one dish and Len commented "You could have put more effort into that one." Zach  said he nodded and kept on going.

I am so relieved that my man/boy is working and I can tell that he is too.

 I work for good people and I work hard for them. In kind they have helped not only me out but my daughter and now my son.

It's a family affair...on their end AND ours! The waters are receding, the sun seems to be rising and my life is returning to what us Clampetts consider normalcy. We don't need much...a cement pond is WAY down the road but at least we haven't been kicked out of our house and all three kids have joined the work force!

I'm done with all my double shifts for the week and it is smooth sailing through the weekend. Life is good. Life is a puzzle. Life is always interesting. (when you are a Clampett)

It's so nice to feel good about myself again. It's so nice to feel good about all  three of my kids. It's actually just great to still be kicking!

One of my favorite blog readers came in to eat tonight...got her free dessert for mentioning my blog and I got to meet her mother. My buddy "Hoke" waited on her. He's a doofus but I love him to death...or maybe he is just always saying "You're killing me."

I tend to do that...just ask Tim!

Til next  time, a tired but contented COTTON

No comments: