Monday, February 13, 2012

Hope Cupid is a Good Shot (to my bank account)

The weekend at work was awesome and people seemed to be throwing money at me and lucky for me I had my catchers mitt on! I took yesterday off for Tim's birthday and we switched my plans to include all of us here at  the house. (We needed it) We took him out to eat a little mom/pop southern cooking place that the kids and I discovered a couple of weeks ago. A meat and two sides for six bucks. They close at three on Sundays and we got there around two.

We sat down and a girl who I have never seen took our drink order and said the waitress would be right over. This is a totally non fancy no frills kind of place but the food is good and at least we were all eating together for the first time in MONTHS!

We immediately got into a family conversation (which we rarely do anymore) and attempted to try to figure out how we had lost the family balance and in fact any semblance of being a family. We were probably five minutes into to the conversation when someone came over and asked if we had ordered? They were immediately upset  they had dropped the ball and went to get us a waitress... but WE had,  in the time given solved about four issues...with fifty more to go.

A waitress that has waited on me and the kids before skittered over to the table...apologized about ten times and took our order. She is one of the sweetest people I have ever met but even Zach said "She's a little ditsy."

We ordered and continued our family debate. Tim seems to be disgusted with me (I can't blame him I have been a bitch since I imposed fifty hour work weeks on myself and for some stupid reason refused to take days off.)

The food was delivered to the table and looked pretty good. We all sat looking at it...none of us had a fork or knife. We sat there for about two minutes when a woman came over and said "I guess we didn't tell you this was eat with your hands day" and gave us all silverware. I love it...humor as an apology is the way I would always choose.

I said "Glad I didn't order the soup."

You know what? It didn't bother any of us. We laughed about it but enjoyed some really good baked hen and dressing, turnip greens, mashed potatoes, baby lima's and mac and cheese.

I work in a full service upscale restaurant but I am no better than the people that work in the little restaurant we took Tim to.

The food was good the service was hysterical and I will eat there again and again. I'm not a  food snob...I'm a person that supports the little people. There seems to be a lot more little people that need help in the world I am currently living in.

It's been a while since I have had a waitress wearing flip flops... at least she is working, smiling and trying...I'd rather tip her than a big corporate restaurant. Support your community, support the people you live with and it will help  support the lifestyle you moved there for. So what she wears flip flops? They serve a mean country fried steak and  she always hollers "Hello" to me when I walk in.

Zach is starting to work with me tomorrow. He is going to help bus tables and I have talked to Len about him beginning to work in the kitchen starting at the bottom. Zach has taken some knocks, many of his own  choosing but now has a great opportunity. Barb and Len saved me...and saved me good! Zach has always been interested in culinary arts and I have complete faith that this may be the thing to peak his interest or at least get him started.

So that cute boy in the above photo...by the way that is my fave pic of him is starting to work with me. What a great Valentine's Day present.

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: