Saturday, February 25, 2012

It's Bad When Six Year Old's Beat You Down

Went into work at 4:30. I like this shift because I get extra tables before all the other servers get there for the dinner shift...today was no different, well maybe just a little.
I had a couple of tables going when I got a party of ten. Five fathers with their daughters having dinner before heading to a Father/Daughter dance. The Dad's got the party started early..."Cocktails!"

The girls had on makeup and eyeliner and fancy dresses. They ordered cocktails too. "A round of Shirley Temples please." The girls were all pumped up and the father's were catching up pretty quickly!  I got another couple of tables and had my hands full by the time the little Divas were ready to order. The girls were singing at the top of their little lungs "I have my hands in  the air...goin' OH OH." The other people in the room with them didn't seem to be having as much fun but the Dad's didn't seem to mind.

By  the time they were ready for their checks I was what we call in the industry "Balls to the wall." They wanted me to split the two appetizers five ways on five different checks and all of the sudden were in a hurry for me to do it. The girls had kicked it up a notch and were once again singing together with their arms all waving in unison and one Dad saying he needed one more drink. Heck..."I" needed a drink!

I had to give one of my other tables away because I was so frazzled with splitting the checks and appetizers, getting that last cocktail for the dad and making sure I had every  thing on the right check. It's the first  time I have ever had five little Diva's put me in the weeds. For you folks that have never been a server...being in the weeds is being so busy you  can't even see straight or catch up. It's truly just like running through really tall grass cutting through it with your arms flailing and hoping to see a clear patch up ahead.

I don't know who was happier when they finally left...me or the people who endured five little girls singing Nicki Minaj at  the top of their little lungs while they attempted to have a quiet dinner five feet from them. I was so flustered and in such a time warp. When you  get in the weeds, it's like real time stops. You  lose all concept of time and don't know if five minutes or half a hour have passed since you  checked on another table. I was sweating like Mel Gibson at The Apollo and felt all panicky. The dad's finally all paid and tromped out the door with their "Little Missie's" in tow. It took me thirty more minutes to settle back into the groove of things but I did.

Two hours later it was all over. The dad's had left me a fifty dollar tip so it was worth it in the long run...but it felt like a REALLY long run and one I was happy to be over.

Zach is still at work cleaning up and I have to go back and pick him up but I am proud of him for making it through his first week. It isn't easy working in the kitchen but he has hung in there and only cut his finger once. He suddenly has a new appreciation for what I do for a living.

Dreading working a double shift tomorrow but at least we close at  8:30 and I will in bed with the pups by 9:30. It's funny what makes you happy when you are over fifty.

Til next  time...COTTON

1 comment:

mark said...

I think if every person experienced being in the weeds one or two times in their life, the world would be a kinder, gentler place. Did I just say "kinder" and "gentler"? Ugh! Next thing you know I'll be talking about a thousand points of light and just saying no. Thanks Kelly!