Monday, February 6, 2012

Life...It's Full of Twists and Turns

I've known the young man in this picture for over fifteen years. When I first met him he was a line cook at the Western Sizzler where I used to work. He moved up the ranks and ended up being a manager.  I don't think I've ever seen him mad and he is hands down one of the nicest guys I have ever met.

We met again when I started with Mama Lucia's. He was a chef and manager for them and it was a pleasure to work with him again. He got a great opportunity to move up again. First by meeting the love of his life who was working at our restaurant part time and eventually marrying her. He left us for a great position in sales and actually sells product to our restaurant.

He got married just over a year ago and they had their reception in our restaurant. The wedding was pushed up because his father had been diagnosed with cancer and only given a short time to live. The wedding and reception could not have been more perfect if they had taken two years to plan the affair, but with less than ten days of preparation had an absolutely beautiful wedding and his father got to stand beside him as he married his bride. The doctors had given his father only a matter of weeks to live.

They just celebrated their first wedding anniversary and the next  day his father lost his battle.

At least his father got to see him marry and stand proudly next to his son on that wonderful occasion. He was able to live twelve more months, attend his son's birthday party (the photo above) spend the holidays with family and friends albeit battling a crippling illness but at least drinking in the love and support of many and always putting on a brave and courageous front.

My friend lost his mother at an early age just as I had and now has lost his father as he approaches mid life much like I did with my own father. The difference being God took my Diddy quickly. He suffered but nowhere near to the extent my friend's father did.

I think of the past two years and think how awful they were. Then I look at my friend and think how truly lucky I have been. My mother went in the matter of a few seconds, my Diddy in the matter of a few days.

So  what my husband lost his job? So what I lost mine? I found a new job and eventually my husband did too. We had help from every direction possible, especially above and have turned the proverbial corner.

My friend watched his father battle and finally succumb to a devastating illness. I witnessed his father getting weaker but never losing faith or spirit. He was surrounded by family and surrounded by love.
Therein lies the blessing.

When you think life has twisted horribly the wrong way and you  think it can't get worse...you need to look around. It can and it does.

I am a lucky, lucky woman. I lost both my parents but God took them quickly. I lost my job but God gave me a better one. I can't imagine watching my parents suffer...they suffered enough raising me.

I sent my friend a message tonight including this wonderful picture of him and his Dad at his birthday party with the following message:


"Pat, words seldom help and tend to escape us at times like these. I am so sorry for your loss but know your Dad is whole again and totally at peace. I absolutely love this picture. It may bring a tear to your eye now but what a great memory to have and keep. I too have lost both my parents but try to think of it this way...how ever horrible it feels to have lost them both, what a tragedy it would be to have never had them at all. Thinking of you, Brandie and your entire family. We love you..."
 
It puts everything into perspective for me and makes me feel ridiculous for fretting over petty  things like job loss and temporary poverty.
 
I hate  my friend and his family had to endure suffering  their loved one's suffering. It must be brutal...I can only imagine. When it does happen you have to,  in some small unspoken way... be grateful they have passed on to eternal peace and just reward.
 
Life is full of twists and turns. Sometimes it is great and sometimes it is not so great. That's why it's called "Life."
 
Life: "The physical, mental, and spiritual experiences that  constitute existence."
 
Roll with the punches, keep on keeping on and go until you can't. Give it your all and at the end you will reap your just reward.
 
Once again counting blessings and realizing how much worse I could have it. Prayers and love going out to my dear friend and his family. There but by  the Grace of God, goes any one of us.
 
Til next time...COTTON
 

2 comments:

eminemrox1 said...

Nice blog! Please continue blogging :D
Here is the link to my blog

http://mylifeisunique38.blogspot.com/

Auto'Blog'raphy of a Waitress & Mom said...

Thanks! I will check out your blog as well...COTTON