Sunday, December 26, 2010

Tis The Season...To Be Cleaning !

 So I told my sister I wanted her to clean my house as my Christmas present.
 If you knew my sister, you would know what a sweet deal I made/maid. If my sister was ever reincarnated, it would be as a modern day "Hazel Burke." My sister knows how to clean and is very meticulous with her method. She said it makes her feel good to clean a house where it really makes a difference...I guess she left my house feeling happy as a pig in slop!
 My kitchen hasn't been this clean since we bought our house brand new 14 years ago.
 She got to my house at 11 AM on Thursday. She came in the door of the kitchen through the garage and got busy! When I left for work at 4:15 she was still in the kitchen. I remarked to her I didn't know she was going to do one room a day...but "Hey" knock yourself out girl!
She started out high dusting and pulled a push pin out of the ceiling over my sink. It was covered with cob webs and dust and she asked me if it was there to hold up the dust ? I said as a matter of fact it was, why...did she need a bigger tack?

She washed all my canisters and appliances, refrigerator and even the cabinet under my sink.

She organized and got rid the of clutter. She cleaned my base boards and even cleaned the light fixtures. I had forgotten how white all of my counter tops were...but they are sparkling now!

It's a good sister that comes over to a hovel of a mess and acts like it's nothing. It's a good sister that even cleans out the bottom of your garbage can. She washed my walls and even washed the panes of the chandelier in my dining room.

It took her two days but Christmas morning my house was sparkling as everyone came in the door (wiping their feet on beach towels I have down to defray the inevitable considering I have three big mutts.). Our family is small, it's just Cindy, Chris and me left. Chris is a bachelor and Cin and I both have 3 kids. Throw in a girlfriend and our family is complete. Small...but complete.

Chris showed up with his traveling "Bloody Mary" bar and the party began.

Shortly after the snow began to fall. "Whoda thunk it?" A White Christmas to go with my White kitchen and my White kitchen floor.

I used to be a pretty decent house keeper. When our life fell apart...so did my cleaning skills. I worked so much that cleaning the house was so far down the list it would be years before I got to it.

When Cin came over that first morning, Tim had just gotten home from work...he works 11PM to 11AM. Cindy asked me if running the vacuum would bother him while he was sleeping? I told her I had no idea, I hadn't turned it on since he started working nights.

Cindy thinks her gift was lame. I think her gift was the most amazing thing any sister could give another.

I come home and it just "Smells" clean. It is organized and de cluttered. It is refreshing to start again with a totally clean house. I have DARED any of my kids (or my husband) to cook in the kitchen or even think about.

I have been blessed . I have been blessed by God and I have been blessed by family and friends. I have been blessed by strangers and even random people.

2010 is ending (Thank the Lord.)

A new year is approaching and new memories are waiting to be made.

It was a "White Christmas" in more ways than one. It was a beautiful Christmas and promises to be a beautiful New Year.

Hope everyone had the awesome Christmas that I did and has an even greater New Year!!

Til next time...CLEAN COTTON

1 comment:

Walter said...

Here's to Cindy!

Merry Christmas to all of you, and wishing you the happiest and most successful year for 2011.

God Bless us everyone!