Monday, December 6, 2010

Deep Freeze

I live in the Deep South...

Right now I am living in the Deep Freeze. The expected low is 20 tonight. The expected low tomorrow night is 19. Tim left for work out on the loading dock about an hour ago and I don't envy him. Hopefully he is moving up (and inside) soon and all this manual outdoor labor will have finally paid off.

I worked another double shift today and after posting am going to snuggle up in my comfy bed with my warm pups and catch a few ZZZZ's.

While at work today we were watching the Food Network when a commercial for Blimpie came on. I'm not sure but I THINK their lunch meat comes out of a can. I'm not a big fan of theirs, Massey seems to like them but then again she considers McDonald's fries a vegetable.

I made the comment that junk food is JUST that..."JUNK." I mean I like Arby's roast beef sandwiches but if that is "Roast Beef" I'll kiss your butt on Main street.  I like a Krystal  every once in a blue moon but if that is hamburger meat we are ALL in serious trouble.

Chic fil a is great but for the price of a "value meal" I could buy enough groceries to cook a meal for four.

Christmas is fast approaching and once again it will be a slim one at our house. It doesn't bother me in the least. I have long since learned the true meaning of Christmas and ours will be blessed and happy. We have MUCH to be grateful for and as long as we have each other and a roof over our heads we have all we need.

At work the owner's have a huge tree in the corner of the foyer decorated with nothing but "Wish Cards" from the Salvation Army for kid's that are in need of help. One of the regulars pushed in a brand new bicycle today for a 12 year old girl...one of the card's he pulled off the tree. It has hand brakes and a basket on front, tassels streaming out of the handle bar grips and he even bought a helmet to go with it. Can you imagine how thrilled some 12 year old little girl is going to be Christmas morning when she wakes up and sees her new bike?

I rode it around the inside of the restaurant today to make sure it works okay for her (and it does.) I pulled two cards off the tree...one for a boy and one for a girl. The boy wants a Blockbuster card and the girl wants a Claire's gift card.

 Massey and I are also helping with a family at the high school. We bought a baby doll for a 2 year old little girl.

 These are the things that truly make it "Christmas."

My family has been helped by so many this past year...to help someone else out, even in a small way just makes me feel better.

Every person needs to sit quietly for a moment. Think about their life and think about someone who prays every night to have a tenth of the life you have.

It is simply called Karma. It is knowing the difference between wants and needs and knowing when helping others helps helps yourself even more.

The older gentleman that wheeled the new bike into our restaurant today  said that he never had a bike as a kid... and he wanted this kid to have one.

I sat talking with him and remarked that as a kid I did have a bike. It was a bike that my sister had and  passed down to my brother and then got passed on to me. It was so big for me that I had to learn to ride it from leaning it on the wall in front of my neighbor's house and climbing on it from the wall. I could just reach the pedals and once I got going had to stand up and pedal, if I sat on the seat my feet wouldn't reach. Once you wanted to stop you simply fell over or had the bar ram up between your legs (ouch.)

We were not poor by any means but had a frugal existence and one that I am grateful to have experienced.

I remember roller skates that you wore over your tennis shoes and tightened with a  key. I remember attaching playing cards to the spokes of your bike tire with a clothes pin to give it that cool "Clackety Clack" sound as you peddled faster to make it even cooler sounding.

The life I led as a child was a simpler life...a purer life and the luckiest life you could have.

As a fifty year old woman I have those wonderful memories. As a fifty year old woman I have blessings beyond belief.

As a fifty year old woman I feel blessed to be helping a few kids that have so much less and ask for so little.

It isn't hard to make a difference in someone else's life...and it makes all the difference in your own.

This Christmas Season look beyond your own wants and desires. Help someone else out that is less fortunate than you and it will come back to you ten times over.

Merry Christmas...and  always "Remember the Reason for the Season."

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: