Monday, December 27, 2010

A Pretty Lucky Day

I worked a double shift Sunday, worked another one today and have another one tomorrow.

Gotta cram those shifts in while "Bidness" is booming. Lunch was so so but tips were good and I made enough to buy gas and go buy Tim some warm gloves for work tonight....expected low 17. I got him a six pack of "Hot Hands" and hope they work as well as they say. When I came home from lunch and stupidly announced I would run to WalMart to get him some gloves, little Miss Massey was all over it."I'll drive, I'll drive!"

They have to learn sometime and now that I can't use the excuse of Holiday traffic I was backed into a corner.

Off we went (taking the bypass and back roads) and I  have to admit she is a better driver than Zach was at 15.

We pulled into WalMart and she asked where she should park? I told her to turn up the aisle nearest the front door and we parked at the very end where there was plenty of room for her to maneuver.

As we almost froze to death walking from Siberia to the front door of Wally World,  I reminded myself it was still a good decision.

We picked up a decent pair of gloves for Tim and got in the self check out aisle...usually always a mistake. We were next up for the scanner when Massey noticed our gloves didn't have a
Scanny Thing Tag on them (her words). We let the Latinos, red necks and horribly rude people behind us go ahead and screamed back to the men's department to find a pair of gloves with the much needed Scanny Thing Tag.

Back to the self check out. As always, the guy in front of us had no idea how to use a pin pad system or how to use a debit card.

It's a good thing Wal Mart has decent prices. The place they get you is in the patience and tolerance pocket.

Back to our parking spot in Siberia we full out ran. This cold weather is definitely not for skinny people and I am trying to work my way up to being skinny.

Massey got us back home safely and I went back to work. I was worried that we would be slow with the Falcon's on Monday Night Football.

Not the case. The people came out to eat in the freezing temps and I even got lucky enough to get a a party of 9 in a private room.

Problem was... when they showed up it was six women, two high chairs and a baby in a car seat. That's not a party of nine to a server. That tends to be a lose/lose situation.

I put on my game face and gave it the best shot I could. One of the women was totally ticked to find out that we serve Pepsi products. It took her a full five minutes to settle on a Sunkist Orange and things quickly went downhill. I had the entire order taken while she scowled at her menu. I went and brought them bread...she was still looking down at her menu and had not once looked up at me. Not helping, she was a 'Low Talker.' I couldn't hear a word she said and since she had thus far refused to look at me I finally decided maybe she was mentally challenged. Not the case...she was just a Grinch. She finally ordered pasta with meatballs and I commended her on her choice. "Our meat balls are fabulous." I wanted to add they would go GREAT with that Sunkist Orange she was drinking , but thought better.

You never know, waiting tables.

She could be the one picking up the tab and even if she isn't, she deserves the best service I can give.

When the meals finally arrived she looked disgustedly at her pasta and I knew I was in trouble. I asked if everything was okay and everyone but her replied cheerfully that it was.

She sat looking at her meat balls as if she was waiting for them to grow or something...but didn't complain.

Our entrees are huge and almost everyone had food left for me to pack up. I had everyone else's food boxed and asked if she wanted hers boxed as well. Not looking or speaking to me she shook her head no.

Another woman at the table said to bring a box and SHE would take home the pasta.

It was one woman's birthday and they ordered three different desserts. I ordered a free birthday dessert for the guest of honor and took all of them out.

Luckily it was all on one check and luckily one of the friendly women paid.

When all of them left, with ole grumpy pants dragging behind them I picked up the check. There was a piece of paper stuck in the credit card holder that had a hand written note on it. It read "Thanks for the GREAT service and may God Bless you." That is usually the 'Kiss of Death' for a server. A verbal tip "You've done a great job" always means that they feel that is worth ten bucks and take it off your actual tip. If they mention the Lord in a handwritten note...you are usually screwed.

I flipped over the charge slip and much to my surprise they had left me an 18% tip...AND a blessing from God.

That my friends is what it is to be a good server. You HAVE to give good service. You HAVE to take care of the good people and the grumpy people. You HAVE to give the best service you can...EVERY time and hope that it comes back to you.

It's a crap shoot being a server but when you roll the dice you had better be sure  you have blown luck on them. You better be sure you have done everything possible to take care of everyone...even grumpy ole sister. They are most probably mortified at her behavior but appreciated me overlooking it and letting them enjoy a night out without a server saying "Who brought THIS party pooper?"

Had a few other tables that showed me the money and I walked out on top of the world. Of course it was freezing and I ran and skittered across the parking lot to my car but once in it sat and thought about what a Psych job I have.

I not only use my skills as a server but  use the terrific product we serve and get to throw in some free lance psychology and in the end it all works out to my advantage.

As a bonus I LOVE my job and my employer's seem to love crazy ole me.

Back tomorrow for another double shift/ psych session.

"Kella Gets Her Groove Back."

If this keeps up,  we'll be back on top in NO time!

No comments: