Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Rain, Rain Go AWAY!

It rained today like a monsoon. All day long. It started last night around 11 and didn't stop til after 1:00 this afternoon.

Not a good thing when you have three dogs. I often wonder why having three dogs 'IS' a good thing. I took them out last night right as it started to sprinkle and let them all do "Their Thing" hoping that they could make it until the rain stopped.

My husband worked all night so the hounds slept with me. The male boxer HAS to be right next to me in the bed, the female boxer prefers downstairs sleeping at the foot of the stairs where she doesn't have to climb stairs but can thwart any enemy advances, and the bulldog sleeps under my bed like it is his cave with white chop stick back legs sticking out and crossed like he is "in his crib" and loving it.

They made it through the morning without going out ... it was raining so hard the Morton Salt girl would have been at risk in her slicker.

Around one the rain had ALMOST stopped so I let the three idiots out the back door.

It would be okay if they would meekly tip toe to the edge of the porch and cop a squat. But they all three barrel out of the house like the running of the bulls in Spain and slip, slide and fling up mud as they race each other to the back of our property for no apparent reason other than to cover their underside in mud. They follow each other around peeing where the first one did and once they have made their rounds come back to sit by the kitchen door looking like Pig Pen on a bad day.

I then have to get beach towels and bring them in one at a time. I start with their paws and move up their legs to their filthy bellies and end up with the slobber hanging off their jowls and finally release them back into my house.

Dang...my three kids aren't THIS much work (at least not physically.) I decided not to feed the dogs today so they wouldn't have a turtle head a pokin' (Austin Powers movie quote ) and it won't kill them to go one day without food. I have done it many times and I'm still here.

I got my oldest son to go pick up a bale of wheat straw last night right before the monsoon hit and put it all around the back porch to keep the mud down a bit. It did help, what doesn't help is three idiot four legged dogs that have to run like crazy out in the yard and then expect me to be happy to see them wanting to gain entry to the house again.

It seems to be feast or famine here in my neck of the woods. Either it doesn't rain for three months or it rains for three days straight.

Not good when you have pups! They have been wiped down for the last time tonight and all three are snoozing in different parts of the house. It's so weird, when my husband is home they don't mind spreading out throughout the house. When he is gone they are all on top of me like secret service agents.

Tomorrow is forecast to be just cloudy ...maybe I will let them eat again.

They had better be glad they don't get report cards, I would fail them all on rainy day etiquette.

Til next time...Cotton

No comments: