Wednesday, December 16, 2009

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Things are looking up !! I went into work today at 2:00 for a party of 100 people and plowed right on through the dinner shift. I made almost $300.00 and couldn't be happier...I thought.

Massey sent me a text around 4:00 asking where the Christmas tree stand was. I wondered what was up with that but text back and told her where it was in the garage. This is the first time in 49 years I haven't had a tree but have decorated the downstairs with all the candles and wreaths that I had.

Last night when I left work I walked out with one of the cooks, a dear friend of mine that is hands down one of the finest men I have ever met. He made the remark that he hadn't bought a tree yet and I told him I was right there with him. I jokingly said I couldn't afford the presents so I certainly couldn't afford a tree. I told him we needed to wait til about the 23rd and go to the Farmer's market together and tell them we wanted two trees and cut us a deal. Then we could leave the tree up til the middle of January to get the max out of it. He agreed and when I left we said we'd get together on it later . He is married with two precious daughters, one just starting school and the other is a fat little bundle of joy not even a year old yet. His wife is just as good a person as him and they have been to our house many times.

When things at work slowed for a minute I called home to ask Massey why she needed the tree stand. She said Dean (the cook from work) had just come over and brought us a Christmas tree. Tears welled up in my eyes and I had to stop and fan my face with a menu so they didn't stream down my cheeks.

How awesome was it of this guy to bring us a tree.. to make our Christmas complete and thrill my daughter to death?

I didn't get off til after ten tonight and when I was driving home, the only Christmas song that I HAVEN'T heard while waiting to win my money on the radio came on for the first time. "O Christmas Tree."

How ironic is that?

How special is it to have friends like I do that give unselfishly and make me realize how truly lucky I am? On top of that, when I pulled in front of the house and saw a tree lit up through the window the tears couldn't be stopped.

Oh it wasn't a pine tree... it was a Frasier fir, my absolute favorite. They are so fragrant and the only kind of tree I ever buy. Massey had it all decorated. She hadn't put a drop of water in the stand but was so busy just getting it all ready she forgot. I watered this most beautiful tree I have ever had and was in awe just to see a tree sitting in my living room.

I am home from work...Tim is at work and things are finally looking up. Not only that...

IT'S BEGINNING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS !!

Til next time, an overwhelmed and extremly grateful COTTON

1 comment:

Lynsey said...

That is so awesome Kelly!! You deserve it! And Dean IS amazing, enjoy it!