Sunday, July 29, 2012

Heading Home...

Massey left us a week ago Thursday while we were still on vacation in St. Augustine. She flew to Destin to hook up with two dear  friends of mine who have taken her across the country. They visited Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Dallas, drove through New Mexico and ended up in Colorado where they own a home. They left Colorado today and will take a different route home, introducing Massey to yet several more states.

It's been quiet around here without her but thanks to cell phones and social networking I have been in touch with her several times each day. It helps that when she is with my friends I know she is in good hands and need not worry...except that she may come home more spoiled than when she left!

It's also given me some time to spend with Zach. He has taken me out twice for lunch ( paid both  times) and helped me out around the house and yards.

The thing about kids helping out around the house is it's really more of "An attempt" to help out.

But if they at least make the attempt, it makes my job that much easier. So the kitchen isn't as clean as I would like...but it's a heckuva lot cleaner than when I left! (a job halfway done for me)

So the laundry is done...that means it is at least washed, dried and in baskets. Sometimes they even go crazy and FOLD it! (a job OVER halfway done)

I tell them to clean the bathroom and yes, 3/4's of the grime is gone . The mirrors still need to be cleaned but my kids must know they are pretty and have no need for a mirror. (another job 3/4's done)

It was different when I was little. But then again when I was little, Batman was on Ted Turner's brand new channel WTCH 17 (catch  phrase was "Watch  This Channel Go) and no one ever thought of taking a gun (there weren't assault rifles available then) and killing people who were watching it. You could watch Batman or Little Rascals, Blondie (not the singer...the show) and Wraslin' with Freddie Miller as the emcee.

When I was a kid you had to get up off the couch, walk over to the TV and manually change the channel, rearrange the rabbit ears and go to  the kitchen for more aluminum foil to wrap around  the top of the antennas.

I was a victim of child cyber abuse according to my kid's.

I remember when my sister won an ice cream maker from channel 17. I think it was when we were watching Dagwood and Blondie. My momma took us downtown to Atlanta to pick it up. It was a piece of junk, a toy but we were all so excited!

My momma used to shop at  A&P. They gave out slips when you paid, it was a card for "Let's Go To The Races." On Wednesday nights they would show some random horse race from  I don't know where...most probs three years prior in a small track in Jersey. If your horse won, Freddie Miller (once again) would give you some cash. I can't ever remember anyone winning.

 One thing I wish I could change  is time.

I wish my kids could have grown up in the times I did. When parent's whipped your butt for doing something wrong or making bad grades. When you only had four channels to choose  from...including the PBS channel. When you had one TV set in  the house (as big as a love seat) and one phone on the wall in the kitchen.

I wish they could be gone all day without me worrying. I wish  they could realize how incredibly lucky they are...and spoiled.

My kid's haven't been spoiled as much as many other kids ... but I only wish they could know and understand.  I grew up with nothing but an AM transistor radio and a pass to the public pool yet thought I was the luckiest girl on Earth.

We had the house every one wanted to be at. We had the parents every one loved. We had laughter and we had discipline.

I am sure both my parent's are shaking their heads and sighing...but would spoil them and make excuses.

My point is...if they were both still alive, my kids would be even MORE spoiled.

I'll deal with it...I have so far.

To be a child of the sixties and seventies is an incredible thing that should be relished.

The future worries me, but then again all moms worry.

Til next  time...COTTON








2 comments:

JB said...

"To be a child of the sixties and seventies is an incredible thing that should be relished."

The entire post is fabulous, Kelly and you're absolutely right about our childhood. Thanks for putting it into words.

Auto'Blog'raphy of a Waitress & Mom said...

Thanks,JB! I feel very fortunate to have grown up in the sixties and seventies. I feel even more fortunate that my kids stil allow me to be a part of their lives in 2012! Keep reading and I'll keep writing :)