Wednesday, October 27, 2010

That's Why I Made a List...

I stopped at the grocery store the other day on the way home from a day shift. I had left a fifty dollar bill on the counter for Tim to go to the store but knew it was still sitting there. Working the graveyard shift is killing him and trying to sleep all day with teen agers coming in and out constantly isn't very conducive  for deep uninterrupted rest.

I tried to remember what I had on the list I left by the fifty dollar bill on the counter. I got most all that I could remember and proceeded to the check out. I had bought some extra items intending to actually cook a dinner for a change. I thought maybe the kids think that the gas on my stove had been cut off and I was forced to only use the microwave and they were trying to be nice  not to mention that they couldn't remember the last time I put on an oven mitt and pulled something to eat out of the oven.

The total was going up quicker than I had anticipated and by the time ten things were left I looked like Debra Winger in Terms of Endearment when she was at the grocery store with her kids. "I don't need this...and can you take this off?"

Fortunately it hadn't deducted my savings from my 'plus card' yet and I was able to get most every thing except cokes for Tim to take to work and my laundry detergent (which is sky high for some unknown reason.)

I got home and started dinner. The kids got all excited when they saw me actually getting out pots and pans...my family is so easy to please!

Tim woke up (probably not used to smells drifting up from the kitchen below our bedroom) and I told Massey to go to the store with him to pick up the couple of items I didn't get. Tim wasn't thrilled but Massey was all on board and told her dad to give her a minute to change (going any where is a fashion statement for a 15 year old girl.)

I told them we needed cokes and laundry detergent and that Massey could get some sugar cookies to bake.

I was cooking away (yes I remembered how) when they came back home...lugging in WAY too many bags.

Tim said "Here's seven dollars and some change back." I started to say something (I always am) but just let it go.

We had a nice meal and even our oldest son was there for dinner. Starving 24 year olds out on their own can smell a free dinner a mile away.

TJ made the comment "This is the best meal I have had in a long time."

I said "This is the best meal WE have had in a long time, but thanks."

After dinner Tim made the fatal mistake of saying "We forgot to get laundry detergent so you need to pick some up."

The cork I had mentally stuck in my big fat mouth popped out.

"What do you mean?"

Of course Massey jumped right to her dad's defense. "Well we bought a bag of dog food  and we needed mustard too and they had these yummy stars that I told dad were really good."

I said "Was dog food on the list? If we had been out of dog food (which is also sky high) I would have put it on the list and I bought mustard yesterday, it's sitting right here on the counter...and what are STARS?"

So now we have spare dog food spare mustard and some YUMMY STARS and seven dollars and some change.

Tim knows how to get me from ever sending him to the grocery store again...maybe he's more the thinker than I give hime credit for.

TJ seems to be a thinker as well. There were tons of leftovers so he hung around for two more days until that well ran dry.

After dinner I took my seven dollars and some change and went to get laundry detergent.

One thing I CAN say is that life is anything but dull at our house.

If anyone feels like an Iams sandwich smothered in mustard with a yummy STARS treat for dessert, COME ON BY!

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: