Thursday, October 28, 2010

When Am I Going to Learn I Don't HAVE Normal Days?


I didn't get to sleep until 5AM. Yes it was my fault but I have always been a night owl and knew I only had to struggle through a day shift. It was my scheduled day off  but days off are over rated in my book and I picked up because I am taking off Saturday for Massey's performance at the Georgia Dome in BOA competition.
She had a chorus concert at the Centre for Performing Arts tonight so as soon as I got off  work I had to pick her up from the middle of guard practice on the hot asphalt of the high school parking lot and race her and another guard member over to the centre to change into a floor length gown and try to wipe away as much sweat as they could with their tee shirts. I of course had to go get gas after dropping them off and got back in time to be one of the first ones in to get a seat. As I stood in the lobby of the centre (an extremely nice facility that our tax dollars paid for) I looked around and was amazed at what some people consider  correct attire for a concert at a place called "The Centre For Performing Arts."
A man and his wife stood over to the side in outfits that SCREAMED "We left the slaughter house auction just in the nick of time." I know I shouldn't have, but I had my camera in my lap preparing  for my video taping of the concert and just HAD to take a pic. You know, it was probably their grand kid or niece or nephew singing but it just reminded me what a rural setting I live in when this attire feels okay to mosey on over in to "The Centre" for a concert. Granted it wasn't Les Miserables we were fixing to see but at least button up your shirt...especially if you don't have a wife beater on underneath and are built like Junior Samples.

But you know what? That's country living at it's finest and 'round these parts we don't mind .  (well maybe some of us do but we like the fact that they support the young un's.) I sat on the second row to film my girl and could smell the guard girls from where I sat...I bet that couple I saw in the lobby felt like throwing up a hand and making a bid on the livestock onstage.

The chorus ended with a beautiful arrangement of "America The Beautiful" and I actually teared up while taping  and it made goose bumps on my arms.
So I live in a Po Dunk county. I also live in a great country and I also have a great life. My kids go to a great school and are involved in a school with  teriffic parent support  and a wonderful staff .

Next concert I am waking Tim up and saying "Pull on a tank top, Massey sings in thirty minutes."
I have included the video of them singing "America The Beautiful" and hope it hits your patriotic heartstring like it hit mine.

I also include a shout out pic of the couple that were nice enough to show up. Maybe that's where that "Big Rig" in the parking lot came from...I dunno. But at least we support our kids!

Til next time...COTTON 



.

No comments: