Friday, October 8, 2010

The "Funnel" Score... ECHS 53... Losers 13

So I am officially the "Funnel Cake Queen."
I guess there are a lot worse things I could be (and have been )called.
 Here sit my fryers...awaiting my magic wand. No, make that my magic ring and spatula.
 I took a picture of the thermometer in the oil...already hitting the red zone...also known as 450 degrees.
 I'm not the only one working...what's worse, frying french fries or frying funnel cakes? These guys are pumpin' out some taters...crinkle cuts (my fave.)
 The guys in the char pit are cooking burgers, dogs and brats as fast as they can. Obviously no one eats before an East Coweta game.
I had me some help tonight...Can't tell you one of their names, I called them "Fry Lady one"  "Fry Lady two" and "Fry Lady three." When you're frying funnel cakes there isn't time to learn names... you just learn who is going to hand you a plate as you pull the cake out of the grease so you don't burn the poop out of your hand (which I did twice tonight.)

It may sound insane...but I have gotten to where I look forward to frying up plates of crap and powdered sugar and am continually amazed at how people will stand in line for a $4.00 funnel cake. Our stand is constantly busy and sometimes the line is fifteen to twenty people deep. I keep waiting for someone to advance to the front of the line and expect to be getting on a roller coaster.  I sure wouldn't stand in a line for twenty minutes to buy a funnel cake but believe me..they do!

I walked up to the tent tonight and they acted like Oprah had just walked up...one of the women actually clapped. Talk about an ego boost! I told them  that, yes... I did have my degree in "Fryology" and was at their service.

We were in a tent out in front of the stadium and never got to see the game but it seemed like every five minutes we would hear "SCORE...East Coweta."  I finally asked who we were playing, was it an elementary school?  I know the other team hated it...there is nothing worse than losing a high school game when you are a teen. The kids that come to the games may not watch the entire game but they WANT their team to win. I had never even heard of this school  and never made it into the stadium to even see what their colors were. But by the score their colors must be "Black and Blue."

I lose so much money taking these Friday nights off from work...but it is so absolutely therapeutic to me. I am totally appreciated for running the Funnel Cake stand...Heck! No one else wants to and I have found my niche...Helping out where help is needed. I have kids coming up to the stand yelling "Hey Ms. Cotton." And kids coming up yelling "Hey Massey's Mom." I almost feel like a celebrity!

It might not be Broadway...but it is "MY"way of helping out and enjoying being around a bunch of kids that are BEING KIDS. They aren't doing drugs or drinking or having sex...they are being teens, they are supporting their school and even if they don't actually go into the stadium to watch the game they wear the school colors and they have the school pride.
You know I have to include a pic of "MY Pride." This is Massey walking out with the band after the game. After we have turned the fryers off, washed all the crap and taken the tent down. The money is turned in and all that is left is to watch this amazing group of kids march out and know that somehow, someway I have helped . It is Karma my friends. Just to be recognized by all the kids is a boost to me. To see my daughter smile as she walks by is merely a bonus.
The video is of the ECHS drum line...I LOVE me some drum line. I can still remember the cadences from my own high school band. I think ECHS has an awesome drum line.

You tell me! Click on all the pics and the video as well.

Washing the batter and grease off...getting up to have Massey back at the school by 8AM and loving every moment I can of my youngest child doing what every teen should..."Enjoy being a kid."

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: