Sunday, September 12, 2010

"Barely" is a Beautiful Word...and One I Live By Lately

I had to work another double shift today, not one of my favorite things to do but "Ya do what ya gotsta do."

Opening day of the stinkin' NFL didn't help one bit.






Brunch was slow...I guess the preachers kept their congregations extra long knowing most may not show back up for the evening service...Blame The Dallas Cowboys.

I pride myself on my check kiting skills but got a little nervous when I went back for my dinner shift and things looked dismal.
I have a check hitting the bank tomorrow that I needed to cover and I even said a little prayer as I sat in the empty lobby of the restaurant. I had three good tables that all left me well over 20% and then it died.
I went in the restroom so no one would see me on my knees as I sent up one more quick desperate prayer.
Bingo!! Twenty minutes before we closed a party of 11 came in. They had just left the funeral home and came to drown their sorrows...and drown them they did! Scotch, two bottles of wine, frozen drinks and they all re ordered at LEAST twice. They were all with their 97 year old Aunt and her 98 year old husband who had just come from putting her 102 year old sister to her final rest. Dang..I need me some of THEM genes! The aunt was sharp as a tack and seriously didn't look older than 70.
I went from despair to making my deposit with $13 to spare. To many people I would seem ridiculously broke..to me if I have $13 bucks to spare I feel like making it my Facebook status and would feel proud to hit the "Publish" button.
Tim and I have both agreed...if we have made it this far we can make it!
Wednesday is our anniversary. We've been together for 22 years although Tim says it feels like fifty.
Our kids drive us (me) crazy but I love all three of them a little more than I love my three dogs so they must be doing SOMETHING right.
My life has been a hard up and down ride, I feel like I am driving through life in a Dune Buggy with no windshield or shocks.
My eighteen year old is trying to kill me with his cell phone that never works when he is late or expected to call. How come a parent's cell phone always works fine but when you are a teen you constantly lose service or the battery dies?
I can't wait for that call from him "Collect" when he needs to reach me. I have already thought of my options. "Hello, I can't hear you...wait you're breaking up, we have a bad connection...I'm losing the signal, hope it isn't important...call me back!"
Of course that is all bologna...I have never ignored one of my kids in trouble. It is too much fun to give them that "I told you so" face and wait patiently for an apology or at least a hug.
Sometimes a hug from a teen can be the greatest feeling in the world. My kids have kept me grounded...kept me in touch with the times (when their phone works) and make me determined to get back on top or at least back in the black.
Got my deposit slip all filled out for tomorrow...I may even go INSIDE to make this deposit just to see the surprised look on the teller's faces when I leave with an actual positive balance.
It's called determination, it's called a willingness to survive...it's called being the greatest check kiter on the Southside of Atlanta.
I don't argue with any of those descriptions and I am not shamed to be any of them.
Life is hard for ALL people these days , even ones that HAVEN'T been out of work for a year. Life is tough for everyone and I just feel blessed to be one of the people that is making it...day by day, check by check and one that at least has a great job and a path that will lead me back to the place I once was and " To Infinity and Beyond."
Johnny and I have a date in the morning...he thinks I have been cheating on him because I haven't ridden him in a while...stupid men (unless my Johnny is really a Johnnie) ....if that's the case no wonder she works so hard..."I am woman hear me roar." Thank God I am a Liberal...

No comments: