Friday, September 24, 2010

Suffering From Carpal Funnel Syndrome

What a day!

Got up at 8Am. Took Zach to school... waited til I actually saw him walk through the doors knowing the cruel authority figures waiting inside would take over  from there and went home to get ready for work. I was scheduled to work a split shift and the guy who had asked for my PM shift had backed out. It was homecoming at Massey's school and I was supposed to help run the funnel cake stand. I dashed off an email to the woman in charge of concessions and told her I couldn't get my shift picked up but would definitely be at the next home game.

I was at work opening the store when the guy who wanted my shift called me back and said he could work after all.

We had a GREAT lunch...I had a party of 10 women and then a party of 16. Made terrific money and decided I would cut my loses on the night shift and go work the ball game. Of course Massey was thrilled. I left the restaurant at 3:50 to dash to the bank to continue my expertise of beating the system. I made my deposit at 3:58 with two minutes to spare. My deposit covered all my checks and I was the proud owner of  86 cents siting in my account waiting on me to spend them. I was pennies away from a $34 NFS charge. I was PUMPED ! I told my co workers when I got back to work to finish my closing work that it's pretty sad when 86 cents makes you incredibly happy. They all agreed with me ...It IS an incredible feeling!!

I called the concessions woman and told her I could make the game if she still needed me.

I got to the ball field an hour before the game and they had four people in the funnel cake stand. Last home game I worked it by myself. Zach came to help me (very begrudgingly) for a short time but for the most part it was a one woman show.

So when they know I can't come they have FOUR people working the stand? When I walked up to the funnel cake tent  they all acted like  "Emeril" had arrived. I swear they looked like they were going to give me a standing ovation. The head of concession's  husband was standing there and said "Kelly ran this whole stand by herself last home game."

So if they know  I am coming...they schedule no one else. If I am NOT coming they have four people there. I am not sure if that is a compliment or the total abuse of a fifty year old woman.

There were so many people at this ball game that you would have thought it was an NFL playoff game.
It was wonderful to have help and it was more wonderful to have others experience the gross job of frying funnel cakes for three hours non stop.

By the third quarter the grease was getting over used to say the least. Some of the funnel cakes came out so heavy with grease that I told the woman behind me  taking the cakes from me while I was pulling them out of the vat "Here's another Imodium needed  funnel cake."

The line was over twenty people deep. Who in the heck waits in a line that long for a plate of sugary crap? Obviously a LOT of people. But we got 4 bucks a pop from each of them.

When I got home my back was aching from leaning over two vats of 4oo degree oil with the batter sometimes dripping down my legs and at other times popping onto my stomach. (You know me, I had my shirt pulled up because it felt like a zillion degrees under that tent.) There's something to be said for weighing under a 100 pounds. Someone came by the tent and asked if we needed a drink and what did we want? One woman said "Only water." I said "A coke please..if I want water I will lick it off of my face."  I was sweating like Mel Gibson at the Apollo.

At least these other people realized what a chore it is to run a funnel cake stand. I can almost assure you that they are all signing up for hot dogs at the next game. The one man that helped me fry all night was sweating more than me when we left the game. I told him we had worked three hours together and I didn't even know his name. He said his name was Ryan...or maybe I heard him say "Fryan."

At least I have carved out my niche with the band..."Funnel Cake Queen."

It's a great band program that Massey is involved with. I try to do my part...I guess I  "FRY" to do my part.

Came home exhausted...I washed everything from the tent and  can go the entire rest of my entire existence on this earth without ever wanting a funnel cake.

When I got home my dogs were overjoyed at my sticky and greased up state. My bulldog licked my legs and shoes for thirty minutes. I included a video of Charlie having  himself a snack. He didn't even have to stand in line or buy a ticket.

The things you do for your kids (and your dogs.)

What is crazier is that I enjoy doing these things for my girl and her band program. I can't count how many times I had to turn around from the fryer when kids would say "HEY Massey's mom...I love you" or "You rock Ms. Cotton."

Nothing rocks MY world more than making a difference...even if it is just at a funnel cake stand.

Thank the Lord next week is an away game!!!






No comments: