Saturday, September 4, 2010

Happy Birthday Old Man

When my sister, brother and I were younger we used to call my father "Old Man."

He would always quip "That's Mr. Old Man to you."

My father demanded respect... earned respect and deserved respect.He was hands down my hero...still is.

He died in 2002 and left a gaping hole in my heart and the heart of many others...That would be you , Elizabeth . (Gotta read older blogs to catch up.)

He joined the Navy at the tender age of seventeen after talking his brother, Pont into signing their parent's name on the enlistment form. He told his brother that if he signed it he would leave all his clothes to Pont. My father said he had a LOT of nice clothes and Pont couldn't find a pen fast enough. This was only a decade and a few years after the country was coming out of the great depression and I guess nice clothes to a teen were in high demand.

He met and married my mother... and kinda like Elvis and Priscilla, almost nine months to the day my sister was born. Must have been quite a honeymoon!

Then four years later my brother was born. They should have stopped with him and probably intended to...but "BAM" I came along three years later just to add to the already tight budget.

My parents were married for over 25 years. Growing up in my house was the most wonderful experience I could have ever been blessed to have. Lots of love lots of laughter and lots of home made clothes. My mother could have sewn for Armani. Instead she sewed for all the cheer leaders , majorettes and Russellettes at my high school. She sewed evening gowns for my sister who went to more formal dances in high school than I have attended in my entire life (so she was popular...I will always be YOUNGER.)

My Diddy (as we always called him) worked like a dog. He never griped but he had his schedule. Monday nights: visitation for the church. Wednesday night: prayer meeting. Thursday night: he usually played tennis. Friday night was high school football games or a trip to The Varsity...I still love Chili Steaks because of those trips!

We didn't have a lot of money growing up but that never occurred to me. I always had what I needed and the love that consumed my house drew in our friends, my parent's friends and our house was always a happy place to be.

My Mom went first...to be honest I am still a little pissed about that. I think that maybe she did so much for so many that she had to rest first.

We struggled on without her for 25 years (I hope my math is right) and then the other shoe dropped.

My Diddy died within a ten day period . He contracted West Nile Virus from a stinkin' mosquito. A tiny little nuisance of a flying, buzzing irritant.

I still hate mosquitoes to this day and never see one without thinking of my "Diddy."

Still...ten days is much better than ten years in a nursing home. It is better than ten months in a state of despair for everyone who loves you. He went quickly, he went to meet his Maker and meet my Mother. He earned his reward and earned the respect of all three of us kids.

I can still picture his smile, still picture him shaking his head in disgust at something one of us kids did.

He was truly one in a million.

As I have said many times...I am blessed. I had the most amazing parents you could ever have. I lived a life that many only dream of.

I have learned values and what it means to "Be true to yourself."

"Happy Birthday, Old Man...I mean "Mr. Old Man."

If there is Internet in Heaven I hope that you are connected. If not, I know you peek over my shoulder every day and hope that you read my blog.

I am the Mother, Wife and person I am because of you. No...not because of you, but "Thanks to you." Tell Mama I love her and to have my wings ready...I know she probably already has them sewn... I just hope that I can fill them.

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: