Wednesday, September 8, 2010

"Teens" The Ultimate Lesson in Patience and Prayer

Click on the poster above...I LOVE IT !

If this wasn't written for all three of my kids it SHOULD have been.

I guess on the big scale I did okay with my teens. Just don't check the scale on my blood pressure.

My oldest only had a couple of screw ups as a teen...most of his came in his early twenties but at least with a little "Tough Love" he seems to be doing okay.

Zach felt like raising four teen agers at once. He is my "Sybil" teen ager. One year he was one way...the next he was the complete opposite and the next year seemed to be yet another totally different person. I am hoping we have gotten all the bad "Voices/Vices" out of the way and he has seen the err of his ways. At least the Liberty Spikes phase has seemed to have run its course (Oh I wish I still had a picture of THAT hair do.)

Massey got lucky. She makes good grades and stays out of trouble...not even ONE police related incident with her so I tend to spoil her. At least I KNOW I spoil her and can hold that over her head when I really have to make a point.

What seems ironic is that I also have three dogs...two males and one female.

The female is DEFINITELY Massey. Rosie never gives me any trouble and tends to be favored over the two males.

My oldest son TJ is most certainly my male boxer, Ham. He is a proud dog...just "Looks" proud. TJ's pride has always been his best and worst feature/flaw.

Zach is Charlie to a tee...doesn't listen and thinks he is always right, even when he is getting his butt kicked.

I guess that it why I love them all so much. I have an eclectic bunch of dogs/kids.

Never a dull moment... that I can say with conviction. I never know when they are going to screw up or when I am going to have to step in and break up a fight. I will have to say the dog fights scare me more than the kid fights. At least if I start crying the kid's usually stop...the dogs couldn't care less.

TJ has left the nest...with a not so gentle boost out of the tree. Zach is 18 and his gentle boosting is in the not so distant future. Hopefully his wings are getting stronger as my patience get weaker and he will fly out into the world to do the amazing things he is incredibly capable of (if the stinkin' corrupt and oppressive power hungry system doesn't get in his way.)

Massey has three more years for her delicate little butterfly wings to learn how to flap in the winds of the real world or either meet a REALLY rich man who can easily afford a live in maid.

It's hard to believe in a couple of short years all three of my kids will be grown (and hopefully flying on their own.)

It has been an adventure. It has been 22 years of non stop activity, pleasure and sometimes torture. I wouldn't trade these years for anything. It has been a learning and eye opening experience, probably more so for me than them at times.

All the while Tim has been sitting by as referee and mediator. Unlike me, he is one to never over react or freak out. He is a quiet man... of course that's what you are considered to be when you marry a woman like me.

He has always been a wonderful provider and that it why this last year has been especially hard for him. But luckily (or not) he has ME to shove him down the path of life and after over 22 years of shoving it's a wonder he isn't a stooped over man who is terrified out of his wits when he feels someone put a hand on his shoulder.

Our Cotton plantation has seen good crops and not so good crops. We have had many bountiful years and only had to deal with that nasty boll weevil of economics the last year of our marriage. I'd say if you have a good 22 year run in the cotton fields, you can withstand one bad year.

By this time next year the cotton will be poppin' again.

All in all we have raised three kids and three dogs...and they are all still alive. Not a bad record in my book.

Til next time...hoping to be poppin' COTTON again soon.

No comments: