Saturday, March 27, 2010

Starting to Smile Again

Just got home from work...waiting for Massey to get back from her state competition in Macon. I've got her room all neat and tidy ready for her to come home and dump all her bags in the now clean floor and start the mess all over again.

Work is amazing!

I had two different parties come in and ask about me tonight...what a boost to the ole bruised ego. The owners I work for are exactly the kind of people you would want to work for. They empower you to make decisions on your on regarding the customers and back you all the way.


It has been hard being a fifty year old newbie in a restaurant filled with servers my kid's age but they have all made me feel welcomed and my trainers seem pleased with my progress. Granted it isn't brain surgery but it is still nerve wracking just the same. They seem to all like me and that is refreshing in itself.

The new schedule came out tonight and they have me working six days next week...I was ELATED! The owner said "I didn't think you would mind me piling on the shifts" and he was OH SO RIGHT! Working six days a week at a job where it was obvious they didn't want you but wanted to have six days in which to criticize and belittle you compared to working six days at a job where they know you will work hard and feel fortunate to have you join their team is so totally mind blowing to me and just the thing I needed (financially and mentally.)

Last night I trained with a young girl that was really on the ball and showed me a lot of things I had been wondering about and let me do many things for myself just to get me more comfortable with the computer system and the menu.

Tonight I trained with a cute guy around my oldest son's age...again an on the ball server who makes every thing seem easy. I learned many new things and felt a lot more comfortable in speaking with the guests. He has feet the size of an air craft carrier and the patience of Job. I know I slowed him down quite a bit but he never complained...only prodded this ole gal along and once again I learned even more from him. When I got ready to leave he came up to me and gave me the tip from the table that had asked for me. I refused twice but on the third time stuffed it into my apron and felt like kissing him on the cheek. That's gas money for a week...if he ever needs a ride anywhere, he's GOT one! I have landed a great job with great people...who could want more? NOT ME...

I had forgotten how it felt to be happy at work.

In the words of Willie Nelson I am "On the road again." I should have made this move a year ago, before things got so negative in my professional and financial life. You can't go back though you can only move forward and finally I feel I am doing just that. If we can hang on for ONE MORE week I think everything will be okay...actually I KNOW it will.

My middle son and I went to the grocery store today with our gift cards and my clipped out coupons. With my coupons I saved almost $47 and the total bill was $87. I had $90 in gift cards and sailed out the door with a week's worth of groceries and three bucks to boot!

Food in the fridge, a job that I love and that seems to love me...friends taking care of and praying for me...what more could a person ask for?

Before you know it I will back to my old self...what a welcome relief THAT will be.

Til next time...Crackin' a smile COTTON

No comments: