Sunday, March 21, 2010

Lucky Charms ??

So while enjoying (NOT) my pity party over being fired for the first time in over 30 years I found myself searching my soul and searching my yard for a sign that things would be okay.



Lo and behold I found (with the help of my best friend Massey) five Four Leaf Clovers.



I taped them to a sheet of paper and put them on my refrigerator to remind me I could still have good luck in my life even when facing the most devastating thing to happen in quite a while. I guess losing a job isn't that big of a deal to some people but when you still have two kids at home and a husband struggling to catch up after being unemployed for a year...it's a HUGE deal.



Over the past week I have prayed more than I have in quite a while...and I pray pretty often anyway.



I even prayed that maybe Elvis was still alive and would hear from one of his body guards that a Southern gal was down on her luck and he would send me a new Cadillac that I could sell or maybe just send me the money straight out. After not hearing of any recent "Elvis Sightings" on TMZ I went back just to praying flat out for a miracle.



I prayed on my knees, I prayed at the kitchen table and I prayed as I cried myself to sleep each night.



I even sucked in my pride and called a higher up in my (now former) company and met with him, all but grovelling for my job back. Actually it WAS grovelling and in hindsight quite humiliating. It's amazing what a mom can do for her family.



After meeting with him and getting assurance that he would look into the situation and get back to me soon I felt a weight being lifted off my already scrawny shoulders. I prayed all the way back home and went to wake up my 17 year old son who I had let sleep in with a bad cold and took him to check into school. Once in the car again I started mumbling my prayers half out loud if for nothing else than to keep from crying. On about the third verbal prayer in the short car ride to the high school my son commented very matter of factly "Mom, you're getting on his nerves."



I believe I was getting on my son's nerves but at least he gave me a small chuckle so I leaned over and squeezed his hand.



I waited three days to hear back from the higher ups but never heard a peep.



I stared at those clovers every time I walked into the kitchen, I continued my Prayer Pa Looza and sunk back into a dark hole called depression and self pity. It's not comfortable in that hole but it is dark , you're alone and feel like the rest of the world can't see how terrible you feel or look.



Two days and six hours of a Bewitched marathon on TVLand later ... I just couldn't take doing "NOTHING" any more. The tears finally stopped falling, the puffiness in my eyes went down and I stood under a steaming hot shower pumping myself up for a job interview. As I called out "Dr. Bombay, EMERGENCY come right away" and got no response I knew I was on my own...heck, I would have even been happy to see Aunt Clara show up beside me!

I went to a restaurant here in our own town that has offered me a job a couple of times. A family run restaurant with fabulous food and beautiful decor. When I walked in today the owner said "I was looking for you last week." I told her I was looking for myself last week !

All said and done...THEY WANT ME... I feel like a new person. Of course I am nervous about starting over and learning an entirely new menu and extensive wine list not to mention a new computer system as well. It will take me about 2 months before I will even begin to feel comfortable but being wanted for my skills and dependability is huge thing to me and the boost I have needed for quite a while.


If we can just make it through a few more weeks until I can get my bearings and learn THEIR system, I feel like all will be okay.

I have had more support and prayers than I deserve.

A HUGE "Thank You" to the big Guy upstairs (no..not Elvis) for not letting me get on his nerves!

Continued prayers are welcome and needed.

Til next time.... "Employed Again COTTON"

No comments: