Wednesday, March 31, 2010

May I take Your Order?

I thought you might all like to see a picture of me in my new uniform...the hat is my favorite part!

I studied for three hours today anticipating a test suitable for a Quantum Physics final.
I picked Zach up from school (Massey left with a friend) and he quizzed me from my index cards I made for my BIG TEST today. He massacred the Italian language but helped me out more than you could imagine. The wines were the hardest part and he had to correct me over and over again. I mean one wine has hints of black berries and plum...the next has hints of black cherries and mild tannins. The next one is crisp with pear and peach flavor and the next has a lingering finish or ends with a zing. Zach said I kept getting my adjectives mixed up and he was right. I finally nailed down all the house wines , where they were from and just had to be satisfied with that feat in itself.
The food was a bit easier. I made mental notes and ways to remember certain dishes. 'Tortellini Tricolore' has red white and green pasta...spinach, tomato and flour combined with red white and green ingredients...sun dried tomatoes, fresh basil and garlic cream sauce. Throw in the "double P's" Prosciutto and peas and THERE YA HAVE IT!
Some of the dishes are so similar that it boggles this ole brain but I have about three quarters of it down pat and can fake the other third til it all sinks in.
The owner's wife graded my test. In the words of my 17 year old son, "She knows her crap." She corrected me on a few points but said "Good enough...clock out as a trainee and clock back in as a server."
Thank goodness it was a slow shift. The weather was so nice I am sure many people grilled out or worked in their yards. It was a great night to learn how to do everything correctly and get a sense of actually waiting on customers myself.
I sold a bottle of wine to my first table. It was one couple who's tab came up to $58.00 and they left me an almost $13.oo tip.
BINGO!!
The feeling of a family owned restaurant is something new to me but is totally refreshing and uplifting. The owner let me order anything I wanted off the menu tonight and I had the most delicious Chicken Fiorentina I have ever tasted...Chicken breasts sauteed in olive oil topped with spinach and fontina cheese, served on a bed of of linguine with Alfredo sauce.
At least working there I will be back up to my fighting weight in no time!
So I had myself all worked up over this test...at least I am basically knowledgeable now about the products I am serving and can blunder through the rest learning it as I teach my customers and lead them (line by line) through the menu.
Yesterday was my day off and I met one of my regulars from my old restaurant at my NEW restaurant to have lunch (her treat...she's a sweetie.) I had a delicious pesto chicken sandwich. She had a meatball sub (homemade meatballs,YUMMY.) We had a wonderful two hour lunch and talked at length about my firing and my new hiring. She made me realize even more that this was a blessing from God and now I am in a friendly warm and loving environment where I can thrive, grow and be happy.
We have a long way to go but instead of spinning my wheels, they have finally hit the ground and with the help of my training wheels (people who have unselfishly helped us through this difficult time) I am getting traction again and moving forward with a smile and a sense of pride in my work.
BTW...did you know that our Pinot Noir has bright black cherry flavors with hints of tobacco and mint that allow a smooth silky texture? NOW YOU KNOW (and now so do I.)
I was in the kitchen at work tonight when the young Latino dishwasher came up to me and asked if I was Zachary's mom. He knows Zach from the high school and said Zach was one of the smartest kids he knew. I'm glad to know Zach is impressing someone with his knowledge...if I could just get him to share it with his teachers I'd have something going!
Back on track...moving forward and leaving yesterday behind...DANG it feels GOOD!
Til next time 100 percent COTTON

No comments: