Sunday, August 16, 2009

Clocking Out Feels SOOO Good!


There is a computer screen we go to at work to clock out. It asks "Are You sure you want to clock out?"
I always look for a "Hell YES" button but only seem to be able to find simply "yes."

Had a great but tiring weekend. Lucky for me two servers quit (I'll have to remember to send Erin and Chris a thank you note) and got to absorb some of their tables into my own section. Last night I ran five and six tables all night long. BINGO!

Tonight several of the servers left really early and I got to take their tables as well...JACKPOT!

I had four or five tables that asked for me specifically and that added about $50 to my pocket. We finally had a hard rain today and thankfully ruined every one's plans for a cookout.

I've even won over the 'Cheap' family that tromps in every Sunday night with their three kids to eat dinner at 9:30. Who takes a family with kids aged one month , four years old and eight years old out to eat at 9:30 on a school night? I have worked my way up from a two dollar tip to them tipping me 15% every Sunday night when they drag the kids out of their PJ's... get them re-dressed and stuff them into the car to go eat dinner at almost 10:00. Then they let the kids have cokes and sweet tea to drink, and finish their meal with a chocolate brownie with ice cream, hot fudge and whip cream AND order the little girl a peanut butter chocolate smoothie to take home with her. It's not my call, but it just seems strange to me to raise young kids this way.
Maybe they are vampires and are just waking up when they trudge into the store every Sunday. But when I see them being seated at my table I go ahead and make the cokes and tea, go get a bowl of peanuts from the bar and a basket of bread and have it on the table by the time they can settle the baby carrier into the booth.

It's like when I go to Walmart after work and it's after midnight but there are little kids EVERYWHERE with their parents shopping leisurely like it is four in the afternoon instead of the time when the kids should be on their fifth hour of a good night's sleep.

My kids always got at LEAST ten hours of sleep when they were young. I can remember when they were really young and daylight savings changed in the fall. As an exhausted working mother I was thrilled when 6:30 rolled around and it got dark... I would say "Put your PJ's on and brush your teeth and Mama will read you ONE more story if you're REALLY good!"

It almost ticked me off when they learned to tell time. DAMN those teachers!

Like when my kids were little on Christmas Eve. They would be so excited about Santa coming. I always had to put out "Santa's" presents in the living room for them to wake up and find, all put together and assembled and splayed out on their 'designated' chairs and sofas.

I would tell them they sounded like they might be coming down with a cold and since I didn't want them to be sick on Christmas morning... would give them a little Benadryl to knock them safely out. A working mom has to do what a working mom has to do!

Needless to say, none of my kids ever woke with a runny nose on Christmas morning and it probably bought me one more hour of sleep. A win win situation if there ever was one!

I hope that doesn't sound like child abuse. I hope it just sounds like I am a "thinker" because that is the way I rationalized it. They are 14, 17 and 23 now and I haven't managed to kill them yet!

I recently told my 23 year old that my mind was like a steel trap. He quipped back "Yeah, nothing gets in and nothing gets out."

Maybe he is right...but at least after raising three kids I still HAVE a mind!

No comments: