Saturday, August 15, 2009

Three, Two, ONE!

I am sure that Frances is counting down her days left in rehab.

She only has three more days before she can return to her own house, bath , kitchen and bedroom. I know she will be glad to be home, but what is really strange is that she told me and Massey the other day that she had gotten so used to being around "A crowd" that it was going to take some getting used to being at home alone again.

Only Frances would enjoy the company at rehab!

She is by FAR the most capable person I have met while I have been visiting. She is sharper that some of the people that WORK there.

Pretty much most of the people there are in a "Nursing Home." they scoot along in their wheelchairs propelling themselves with their feet...wandering the halls for hours at a time. Many of the people I have come to recognize on my visits never have anyone visiting them.

Frances is known by EVERYONE. She is mostly called "The Computer Lady." When Massey and I sit with her in the lobby while she surfs the net, they gather around us in their walkers or wheel their chairs close enough to us so that they can hear our conversations and gawk in wonder as Frances logs on and begins to type.

I sometimes wonder how many of these people are staring at a lap top for the very first time, or have been in there so long that lap tops weren't even invented when they were out in the world on their own.

Some speak to us, ask us to sit by them or just seem to be fascinated by our "New fangled contraption." It breaks my heart to think of these many, many people that family and friends have forgotten about or choose not to spend a few hours a week with.

Some are totally unaware of their surroundings (which may or may NOT be a good thing) some are obviously there to never leave and some look pretty close to dying at any given moment.

I would have NEVER written this post when Frances first checked in, not knowing if it would be a couple of months she was spending there or a prolonged period of time (she reads my blog).

I have noticed that some of the "lifers" seem to have a certain hallway they like to sit in, or a window they stare out of for hours or a particular sweater that they seem to favor every day of the week. I have come to know several patients on speaking terms and often wonder what their 'story' is.

Do they miss people coming to see them, do they wish they could leave or are they sorry they have been put in this place at all?

I have NEVER witnessed any patient abuse...and if I did, I would be the first person to speak up (loudly) in their defense and report it immediately. The abuse comes from family that dumps off their relatives and never even thinks of them again, much less visits or calls.

I remember one time at Walmart when a man smacked his little boy in the face for not brushing his teeth that morning (was it a delayed reaction?) and I stepped right up to him...as my own kids said to each other "UH OH...Here she goes!" I told this man that the boy was too young to even realize how important brushing his teeth was and if he hits his child out in public, no telling how he treats him when he is alone with him. I told him how would he like for me to smack him ? Trust me , I wasn't scared to do it and actually wanted to anyway. The little boy looked ALMOST as surprised as "Daddy Dearest" and the man just mumbled something under his breath as he walked away. I asked loudly "What did you say, I couldn't hear you?"

By this point my own kids were begging me to let it go (I am such an embarrassment to them when I do these type of things) and giving in to my own kid's mortified faces I let him off with a hard stare that meant to tell him that he was a sorry excuse for a parent to smack a kid that hard for something that he obviously hadn't taught or instilled in this small boy.


My kids still talk about that, especially if we are out and I see someone treating a child or even another person without respect or kindness. I just can't help it! I will not stand by and watch a human treat another human as if they were not an equal or not even a human being.
It can be a child, an animal or an elderly person...don't mistreat them in front of me or you will quickly realize how LOUD and MUCH I can talk !

Frances was fine in rehab...she would be the FIRST person to complain of ill treatment or any type of negligence. Not to mention that she had many friends and relatives visiting and checking up on her often and the staff noticed right off the bat that she had many people looking out for her best interests.

All in all though, I am glad she is getting her parole papers.

What bothers me is the hundreds we are leaving behind. The ones not as savvy and sharp as Frances. The ones no one comes to visit. The ones that roam the halls 24/7 scooting on walkers or shuffling along with their feet in wheelchairs just looking for someone to listen to them. The ones who are parked in beds lining the halls with limbs contorted and asking as you walk by if you can help them get out of there.

It breaks my heart.

My Dad's cousin is one of the lucky ones...but what about the ones that didn't draw that lucky card?

There are many that seem pretty "with it" and I have grown fond of. I really truly think that I may continue to visit this place and spend some time getting to know the ones that seem to be craving only friendship or a person to talk to or to listen. I know that the staff will be "under-thrilled" at the prospect of seeing me again...but that's tough!

I guarantee that Frances will go back with me to visit if I asked her.

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: