Sunday, February 3, 2008

My Muslim neighbors

My next door neighbors moved in on September 20, 2001. They are Muslim, the wife wears a birka ( I believe that is the way it is spelled) it is the scarf that they cover their head and face with. She is always covered from head to toe.. even in July, out pushing the mower in 90 degree heat. They have four children under the age of 8...obviously her husband knows how to get that birka off! It was really a scary thought to see them move in next door.. especially after 9-11 just having occured . I unconscionably wanted to think that they were terrorists, or that Al- Quaida was setting us all up for the next attack, and moving operatives into my neighborhood. Once I met and got to know them, it was a true delight to have them next door. She is an engaging, smart woman, who by the grace of God.. I guess I mean Allah.. takes care of four little kids with magnificent grace and ease. One day I was over to pick up my little girl from playing, and a very ornate looking clock began to chime on their mantel. My daughter... who has seldom been at a loss for words, said "Time to pray !! " To which the six year old daughter quickly spat back .. " I don't have to pray till I'm seven ! " It amazed me what my young daughter had picked up and absorbed from these people and their culture in such a short amount of time. They are sweet, wonderful neighbors, and I feel terrible about being apprehensive about their moving in. Last fourth of July, my sister and her family came over for a cook out. Cindy was supposed to bring her ice cream maker to make home made peach ice cream, and remembered everything but the ice cream maker. I made calls to all of my surrounding neighbors to see if they had an ice cream maker. After exhausting all possibilities , I decided to call Sumara, next door to see if she had one. She answered the phone cheerfully, as she always does. My name is Kelly.. which she always says as "KILLY" . I asked her if she may happen to have an ice cream maker... to which she once again cheerfully replied... " NO. But I have the ice cream sandwich." I had to cover the phone to suppress my chuckle, but her honesty, sweet nature, and cheerfulness have always been her trademark with me. If I had four kids under the age of eight, I would either be in a loony bin, or heavily sedated. They have just moved from next door, her husband got a great job with the FAA. I will miss them, and I will always be grateful for them easing my bias of the Muslim world, and realizing that we all make our own individual choices, we all chose our own path and destiny. It is a terrible thing to prejudge a person, or label them in any way, before you get to know them.I will miss them as neighbors, and miss them as friends . But I will always be thankful for the lesson of not judging a book by its cover.. that I rediscovered by having this wonderful family move in next to me. May God bless me for meeting them, and may Allah bless them for them being MY friend and neighbor. Till next time.... The COTTON

No comments: