Thursday, February 7, 2008

My Little "Reese" of Heaven

Last year I had the most incredible and wonderful thing happen to me and my family. My own little piece of Heaven dropped into all of my family's lives's and heart's. A single mom that I work with needed a babysitter on Friday and Saturday nights.... which I immediately changed my work schedule to fit her into. It has been the greatest thing that has happened in my house, and we always eagerly await her visits. She was ten months old when we began to watch her... just a little tiny poot. She was small, petite, and absolutely precious. My eleven (at the time) year old daughter was to watch her on Friday and Saturday nights, from five till midnight....of course the baby went to bed at seven; and with the Mom being single, in college, working, AND being a friend of mine, we agreed on a pretty good price.... Of course the money was OUTRAGEOUS to my daughter, and I am sure she thought now she could buy that mink coat she had always wanted! My daughter was TOTALLY overwhelmed, having never had to watch an infant.. but absolutely LOVED this baby.. especially as long as I was there to tell her what to do. I will have to admit, Massey was interested in learning to care for a baby; but the minute things got hairy (baby crying).. I was called to come pick her up, or take over completely. But I have never in my life (and I have raised three kids) seen a more independent, intelligent, and satisfied baby. When we started watching her, she was at the wobbly, can't even walk, somebody get me a swing kind of age. It is a hard age.. they can't tell you what they want, can't toddle across a room to get their bottle.. it is up to us to know what they want and need. But by the grace of God, and a lot of help from her own Mama , she blossomed into the cutest kid I have ever met ( I won't let my kids read this post) . She could ALMOST go on "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader" and win!! Maybe I am stretching that one, but she is amazing, and my whole entire family is smitten by her. Her Mom struggled at first (first time Mom syndrome) but has come to win me over completely as a Mom, and has my greatest respect. Of course, it's not hard when you have the cutest girl in the World to call your own. My little "piece" of Heaven has had some struggles, but I am sure that she will be okay. God could not look the other way in this case, and I am TOTALLY sure that all medical problems will be resolved, taken care of, and only be memories in her Mother's future. She is the light of my middle aged heart.. my kids grew up WAY too quickly, and now they are at the age that they too can love and welcome this angel into their hearts... it has brought a feeling of freshness, hope, and love back to all of us. My fifteen year old son.... who "HATES" kids.. is now the biggest flirt she has.. unless my 21 year old is home. Of course THAT battle is called to a halt when my husband comes home. I shouldn't harp on my husband too much, because as time has passed, she has wormed her little way into all of our lives, including my sister's, my niece's, my neighbor's and even my three big dogs.. they sleep right next to her play pen, and have NEVER once in a year, done anything but lick her to death, or battle for the closest position to her "pack N play" that she sleeps in at my house. She is a breath of fresh air to us "getting old" Cottons, and a reminder of what a true gift children are. Granted, she is the greatest kid on Earth... but on Friday and Saturday nights.... BABY she is a part of our wacky, crazy Cotton clan.... and we would never have it ANY other way. I have started a journal for her, so that once she leaves our care (which will happen soon... Mom is in love with a terrific guy).. she will have memories that she will never remember, but will be in our minds and hearts forever, and maybe one day when the grandparents aren't spoiling her rotten, and may want a break for a couple of hours; they will bring our little "Reese" of Heaven back for a visit, and a chance for us to spoil her all over again, and love her even more... If that is humanly possible. We all watched this little girl learn to walk, listened to her learn to talk, and watched her see and experience, every member of our family falling in love with one of the most incredibly tiny, complete perfect human beings that we have ever been blessed enough to meet; much less be lucky enough to have love us back. Little Reese, there will always be a place in our heart and in our home for you.. although I doubt if you'll need it, with all the love you have coming at you from EVERY direction. You are truly a lucky little girl, and no one deserves it more than you. "TANK TOO" for coming into our lives, and know that you will always have a Cotton thinking about, and loving you.

No comments: