Monday, February 11, 2008

My Eclectic Coworkers

I work with the most varied group of people that I have ever had the opportunity to meet under one roof. Sometimes I wonder if the building is big enough for all of us(myself included.) From some of the crazier Latinos in the back, to the wacky hosts at the front door... we are definitely a unique, eclectic bunch. We have people there just putting themselves through school, people trying to just support their family, and some just trying to stay in the country! We have future nurses, lawyers, soldiers, singers (we've already covered that one), museum curators, Peace Corp workers, surveyors, hairstylists, dentists, musicians, contractors and maybe a few future felons. But when we are all in that building, we are just co-workers, people just scrambling as fast as they can to make a buck... granted some scramble faster than others, some are just trying to keep up, and a few are just trying hide the food that they are eating when they are supposed to be working. I love all these people... variety is the spice of life; so we are definitely one "HOT" tamale. We have our dog whisperer, who fields all the canine questions and concerns, our future lawyer giving us all advice "Pro Bono" and Plenty of free advice from our bar regulars that can contribute on a wide range of subjects. It is like living in a mini universe when you walk through our doors, almost like we are our own reality show. MTV has nothing on us, and if they knew about our store... the camera crew would be there tomorrow. We could even have our own version of The Bachelor or on some busy nights, it would more aptly be "Survivor." I must admit that working with mostly twenty-something year olds has kept me in the loop, and just maybe one step ahead of my fifteen year old son. If I did not have my job, I would have never discovered Snoop Dog's secret little language, the term "on the DL", or my personal favorite..."YEAH, come on!" It keeps me young working with this group, and at other times I feel that it is aging me as well. I could not imagine having to be a young person in 2008. The world is in turmoil, values and morals sometimes seem not to exist, or at least don't seem important. I pray that my own children can find their way down the right path of life, keep their conscience, and remember how they were raised. I pray for my co-workers as well... they are my extended family, and some weeks; I spend more time with them than I do my own three kids. We are a true collage of society...a random group thrown together trying to all have the same end result.. a buck in our pocket, and a smile on the guest's face.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't forget about the teachers...which I might add the restaurant gives great experience to those specializing in Middle school!!
I hear ya Survivor-not very many people stay on the island. Sometimes tea sucks and the tribe has spoken!!