Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Little "Byrd" Told Me...

One of the girls that I work with... we'll call her Byrd for this post... is one of the cutest and sweetest girls that I have the pleasure of calling my friend. She has recently re-enrolled in college to pursue a nursing career, after graduating from the "School Of Hard Knocks" with her ex- boyfriend. ( His loss TOTALLY) She is quiet, sweet....not TOO sweet, and has a heart of gold. She and I are the four o'clock servers that come in and have the whole restaurant to ourselves for about an hour. This is the time that you can really make some money, before the other ten servers get there; and not all the time, but usually we strike it rich. She likes to call me a" table hog".. to which I generally reply "HEY! I resemble that remark!!" I seem to work better when I have about six or seven tables going at once...My Automatic pilot takes over and it just comes naturally to me to be flying around the restaurant at warp speed, doing everything at once. One day she came up to gripe about how many tables I had going... why didn't SHE have that many tables? She went on complaining for a few seconds, when the manager on duty came to the kitchen window and said to the cooks.. " I need some Cheese Fries FLYING!" That means we have forgotten to order them, and need them as quickly as possible. My little Byrd, said " OH &#$@ !!" I forgot to ring those in for table 70 !!" I just laughed and laughed at my little Byrd, and just HAD to say.. THAT is why I have all the tables.... I'm just trying to help YOU out! Let me also say that I am old enough to be her mother, and have been doing this job since before she was born. But I love to pick on her... Like I tell all my co-workers... I only pick on the people that I like, and I like you A LOT!! She is one of my favorite people at work, she has that beautiful dark hair and bright blue eyes... and a body most all the guys would kill for the chance to just admire and dream about. She just doesn't have enough faith in herself, and for the life of me, I can't understand why?! But I can still remember being her age, and not understanding a boat load of things... men, relationships, self worth. But hey! I have my 4 o'clock shifts with her just so I can help shove her down the path of life in the right direction, whether she wants it or not. These kids that I work with are like my own kids in a whole lot of ways. I love them and care about how they are using or not using their potential, and making or not making the right decisions. I don't mind one bit being bossy with the ones that I care about. I have been on this Earth longer than most of their own parents, and just want to help them avoid a few of the mistakes that I made, and help them get to their goal a little quicker. I know she is heartbroken about her recent breakup with the "BOOB" she was dating; if I could only make her realize that years and years from now, he will be such a little , tiny "BLIP" in her memory.... and she will be the biggest regret he ever had, breaking up with her. I remember being young, and thinking that you just CAN'T go own without 'HIM". But you know what? He probably can't go own without YOU, but now he will have to, and you will evolve into the wonderful, caring , smart, savvy person that every guy you meet will fight for the chance of dating and winning your heart. HEY little Byrd, listen to this OLE CROW.... I truly DO know what I am squawking about !! But remember.... I GET MORE TABLES THAN YOU...... "AGE BEFORE BOOTY" is my motto, and I am sticking to it. Love ya my sweet little byrd, you will be happy again before you know it... especially if I or my oldest son has anything to do with it! ( He ain't stupid either.... well maybe a little... but at least he knows a pretty gal ! ) PS.."OH-Kay".. you are coming up in the rotation.... (just a little shout out to more of my friends!)

No comments: