Monday, February 25, 2008

The "Dean" Of Our Culinary Arts Department

We have a cook at work; that is probably hands down, the nicest guy that I have ever had the good fortune of meeting. He is absolutely the most mild mannered, laid back UN-rattled cook that I have ever met; in a profession that seems to thrive on giving out headaches, heart palpitations and high blood pressure like candy. I have known him for almost ten years, and can honestly say that I have never ONCE seen him lose his cool. You can ask any favor of him for the guest's dinner, or even a request for something not on the menu for your employee meal... and always receive the answer that you are looking for... "Yeah, I think I can do that." He gives "meek" a whole new meaning.. and it totally amazes me... How can he work in this high pressure, always demanding job and make it look like a walk in the park? He is a consummate professional, on time, ready to work, ready to always go the extra mile. It is truly a pleasure to work with him, and it always makes my day to see him back in the kitchen. He is married to a terrific woman, and they have an absolute "Doll" of a daughter. They all came over to our house on Christmas Day, and it was such a treat to not only have my immediate family, but part of my restaurant family with me as well. He is never in a bad mood, never complains... just does his job to the best of his ability... a tremendous ability, which in my opinion he is WAY under paid for. But you know what? He has a wife and child to support.. and like me, he knows that if you give your best performance while doing your job, the managers will ALWAYS have your back, and treat you with respect. In today's economical times, you have to be grateful that you HAVE a job to support your family with... and his family is most certainly blessed to have this wonderful man to call their own. If anybody I know could hit the lottery, I would want it to be him. Of course he is too frugal, conscientious, and dedicated to his family to ever waste money on a lottery ticket... maybe I will start buying him one every week! He is not only a co worker, but an amazing , pleasant, incredible person to have as a friend. We are lucky to have him in our company as an employee, and even luckier that he is such a terrific guy to have as a friend.... And HEY... his English is impeccable !! I love my Latino cooks too.. actually I love most all of them... from Captain Cunningham to General Norman of the day shift. But I can always write about them too, and most probably will. But this one is for my "Dean" . I just want everyone that bothers to read this blog to know what an incredible person he is, and how lucky I feel to just call him my friend ( not to mention he makes the best shrimp and chicken chimichanga ever made by a Gringo!) I hope everyone I know is lucky enough to have at least one person like my "Dean" in their life as well. Isn't it great to have wonderful people let you be a part of their life? It just makes life so much sweeter and enjoyable , when you are compensated with being surrounded by care, love and friendship in even your workplace environment. If he'd JUST shut up every once in a while.... TOTALLY kidding... his nickname could be "Silent Sam"..... of course working with 30 women, he doesn't have much time for input .. just an occasional nod of the head, and a mental reminder to himself that at least the company won't let him go in to overtime. Forty hours with us, and he gets a 24 hour reprieve. Till next time... COTTON

1 comment:

R said...

You are absolutely right about Dean. Everytime I come to work and know that he is going to be there I myself have a calm about my day knowing that it is going to be that much easier. He is the epitomy of teamwork. It has been a pleasure to work with him.