Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Andre The Giant... "Doofus"

Here comes another one.. the people that I work with are JUST too good of material not to use for my blog. Hopefully this will all lead to my career as a stand up comedienne or a book of essays about my life. Andre IS a giant... at about six foot four , to me he is a giant; and no matter what my height is ... he will always be a doofus to me. My spell check just flagged the word DOOFUS, but if you knew Dre, you would know that spell check was wrong. He started as a server in our restaurant, moved up to a bartender... which in our store is like working in another realm altogether. It is an entire different entity from the rest of the store. Of course with it being a bar, there are people on their phones to their bookies, while watching the games on the wide screen above their tottering heads. The bartenders are probably calculating their own losses, while licking the wounds of the losers with another shot of booze... Thus is the life of a bartender. My Giant is a man that I have always loved and respected.... even though he can be as slow as Granny Smith to get me a drink for my table. He is the ONLY person that the phrase DOOFUS has been been appreciated and laughed at. My husband becomes furious when I call him that... it may be too close to home, or it might just be one of the many things that I do that ticks him off. ... Although I am off only one day a week, on the Tuesday that I come back in to start my work week again... Dre always says... "What did you bring us today?" I always cook for my family on Monday nights, and my co-workers are foaming at the mouth for my leftovers, which I always bring them. I could come in and say " it was rutabagas and Liver" ; and Dre would say "Let's give it a try!" He does so much for our company from service at the bar to contractor skills behind the scenes. He is married to a woman that I admire completely... mainly because She wears his butt out!! But what amazes me even more is that he is SO in love with her... he would probably walk over hot coals for her(maybe he already has). She is cute as a button, and as hot as a firecracker.Our once life long bachelor (and doofus) has been transformed in a husband, father, and provider in one big swoop. He is constantly smiling, always upbeat and willing to lend a hand. He's just such a big, goofy lovable guy, that I am surprised he managed to stay single for as long as he did. As with many other workers at our store, he has recently gone back to school ( I guess he wants to finally dispel the "Doofus" label.) But he will always be my cute, big ole Doofus.... it is one of his most endearing qualities, and one of the many reasons he is just so easy to like and hard to get mad at! He will be missed when he leaves; but will probably come back to visit every Tuesday morning with a fork in his hand... looking for another left over hand out!

No comments: