Saturday, February 2, 2008

Cooks who can "kick" it up a notch

As long as I am talking restaurant... let's don't forget all the cooks that I work with. They are a varied group of guys..biology degrees, former military, musicians, Latinos, students just trying to get through school, and some just trying to make a buck. It is an incredibly hard job that they have, and an awesome job that they do of it. One of our former cooks, who had a degree in Biology, was trying to get on as a pilot ( He has now been flying for ASA for several years). A great guy, engaged to one of our servers...they are now married and expecting! I remember one night the fryer that we fry all of our food in was on the fritz. Shawn was down on his hands and knees, trying to fix the fryer, we were in the middle of a dinner rush. I walked through the kitchen to get a rack of glasses, and as I walked by him, down on the floor, peering in to the innards of the massive "fry" machine... I remarked.. " oh, that's right... you have a degree in fry-ology" Thank goodness he was a dear fiend of mine, and I laugh about it all the time.. especially now that he is flying jets around the U.S. and making his dream come true. They have a true bond in the kitchen. They work in a constant 90 degree temperature, have 17 servers screaming at them at all times for 17 different things, and still put out the perfect product, in the perfect amount of time, in an absolute surrounding of pure chaos. That is what we call our kitchen in times of a rush... controlled chaos... and it is. But whatever you need from these guys, whatever it takes to make the customer happy.. they CAN and ALWAYS do it. We have a lingo that would seem like nonsense to the average person.. When we are out of something.. we are 86 that item. When we are in the weeds, we are so far behind that we need other team members to come to our aid and help us get caught up. "HEARD" is another big word for us. Since there are 17 of us in the window of the kitchen, asking for things.. I could say "I need a side of horsey" , and the response would be "horsey heard". That means that they heard my request, and they will get me a cup of horse radish sauce as soon as they can. When you are dragging something, that means it was left off of an order... " I'm dragging a sweet potato" .. and BAM .. there it is in the window of the kitchen. It is a strange, marvelous, hectic, insane job that I have. But for the men and women that cook and put out the wonderful product that I am proud to sell.. my hat is off to them... Thank you.... "HEARD" !!!

1 comment:

itsyb said...

Hi Kelly my Hubby works for ASA .He has been there for 28 years. Roxie