Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Funerals, (the new) Reunion For Middle Aged Friends


Went to the funeral of my dear high school friend's father today. Once you hit fifty, funerals seem more like impromptu reunions with one less in attendance.

It was very nice and along the lines of what I want my own to be like. Short and sweet. As soon as I walked in  saw one of my parent's best friends and the reunion began. She is actually the one who taught my mother how to drive a car.  I couldn't believe it when she told me she was eighty five. She looked pretty stinking good for well over three quarters of a century old, and still driving herself around. She's still sharp as a tack , you just have to speak louder which is no problem for me! We sat together and reminisced about old times. Our families used to go to "Seabrook" together every summer for picnics. It was a man made lake with a beach, tube rentals and tons of  shaded areas for eating all that fried chicken we took with us. Those are some of my earliest and fondest memories.

Lots of old peeps turned out, another good sign. There were probably more hearing aids than cell phones in the church. I saw many people I went to church with as a kid, high school with as a teen and friends of both my parents. It was quite the eclectic bunch.

My friend's dad was in a rehab/nursing facility because he had fallen broken his hip and wasn't very happy about being there. I'm with him! If I get put into a facility, I'll hang around til lunch to see what they are serving but after that, check me out...one way or the other. If it's the big check out, so be it.

It was nice seeing my mom's friend and after the funeral  told me she had a ceramic set my mother had made her for Christmas years ago and wanted to know if I would like to have it? I said I would love to have it and said to follow her out, she had it in the trunk of her car. Old peeps seem to be prepared!

I got home from the funeral and unwrapped all the pieces. There, etched on the back of each piece in my mom's handwriting was..."Ann." The largest vase was etched with "Merry Christmas from Ann, 1963."

This woman has had this since I was three years old and has given it back to me. I will treasure it forever.

When you reach my age not only parents but friends as well seem to be dropping like flies. Once again, I'm one of the lucky ones.

We don't have a ton of money but have a ton of family and friends. Take the good with the bad and always be grateful for what you have not for what you need.

(Segway) into my middle age ailments again. My lower back has been killing me for the last couple of days. It doesn't help my right shoulder has been killing me too. Last night I couldn't sleep because of it. I went to bed around eleven and watched the clock tick by until three. I just had an ache between my abdomen and back that wouldn't quit. I fell asleep around five thirty. I woke again at seven and simply gave up.

It hit me then, I remembered this feeling. When we first hit the skids about six years ago and was stressed to the max working thirty days in a row I had this same feeling. I thought I had an ulcer but a customer of mine told me to buy some Prilosec and see if it helped. After the first pill I was immediately better. I came home from work tonight and dug around til I found the box. Still plenty left and don't expire til March. On the downside you have to take it first thing in the morning.

Had a good night at work, unlike last night. Last night I crapped out but tonight I scored. That's the life of a server. Actually, that's the life of anyone.

Taking me a hot bath with my body therapy salts, then using an ice pack, then rolling into bed. After the two hours of sleep I got last night should sleep good just from sheer lack of it.

Til next time...COTTON


No comments: