Saturday, August 18, 2012

What Doesn't Kill You DOES Make You Stronger

This is a picture of Massey when she was one week old, still in the NICU fighting her way up to four pounds. If this helps you  realize how tiny she was, I don't have big hands!

Seventeen years ago  this little girl came into my life, way  too early and way too tiny, but she came anyway. Due October 5th (my momma's birthday) was too long for her to wait so instead she came August 19th (eighteen years to the day my momma died)

With Zachary I worked til two weeks past my due date (he's always been stubborn.) With Massey I was on total bed rest from my fourth month on. I guess  you  can say she has always been my
"Drama Queen!"

I got to the hospital in an ambulance after calling 911 at 3:30 in the wee hours of August 19th. When the paramedics got to my house I was sitting on a folded towel at the end of our driveway...I knew it wasn't good. By 4:23 she arrived via C-section. I lost five pints of blood and Massey lost some too, but we both made it. She came home with us two weeks later and continued to blossom.

This is one of my all time favorite pics of her. She was two and already sprouting the curly hair that she hates and I love! She was quiet as a mouse for the first four years...she hasn't shut up since.



 I love all three of my kids equally, yet in different ways.  I had my two boys first... and by the time they reached fourth grade, they were ready to be left alone to their own devices...most of which involved Pokemon cards or a game controller.

By this time Massey had met her BFF. Alyssa moved in next  door to us and moved into  Massey's heart. They are now 17 and 16 and still tight friends.  Friends may come and friends may go, but the friend next door will always know! I love  she has remained tight with her and believe they will be well into adulthood.




Massey joined the Guard in her last year of middle school and I was introduced to something I had never experienced. At this point we were flat broke but Massey wanted to do Guard so I let her. Other band parents paid part of her dues, bought her things when I couldn't and supported her like one of their own. I volunteered every time I could, ran a Funnel Cake stand at the football games and somehow made it to every competition except a few. She learned discipline and commitment. She learned camaraderie and what it takes to be part of a successful team. I made many friends and it was a joy to be part of such a dedicated group of not only students but parents.





Massey hit her junior year and realized she wanted to go far in life. She quit Guard and picked up her books. She made National Honor Society and has her focus on college, full force.

I diddled at college for two years and still want to go back and finish. I wish I had been more serious about it, but at least Massey is.




Trust me, this girl is going to take the world by it's horns and DO something major.

Unfortunately she had to endure us being broke when money matters most to a teen. No worries... my Massey was always thrilled when I brought home bags of hand me downs from friends who had daughters her age. She held her head up high when other kids said rude things about her repeating outfits at school or not having the right shoes or jeans to "Fit In."


My awesome brother has spoiled her rotten, just like he does me and my sister.

The above picture is the way I see Massey's future...smiling back at me with the world in front of her,  anxious to make her mark and more importantly make a difference.

Happy Birthday to my little girl.

You have given me fits at times, you have ticked me off plenty, but you have always made me proud and I know you will reach the stars and beyond.

The love I feel for you cannot be expressed in written words. The love I feel for you consumes me. You are going out to do what I should have done over thirty years ago...make a difference.

Massey Cotton...you are not only my daughter, you are my idol.

"Go gettum, kid."

No comments: