Monday, August 27, 2012

Taking Charge!

I was at work on Sunday when one of the bartenders who was off came in to eat at  the bar. She sat next to a regular that comes in several times a week and does work on his lap top. He's a pretty sharp guy and seems to know a lot about a lot of things. Granted my tiny mind is easily impressed but you can tell he is a pretty savvy guy. He has been helping the bartender get her financial affairs in order and helping her learn to budget her money.

As I watched them hunched together over his lap top I commented to a close co worker friend of mine that maybe I should ask him to help me too. I mean,  I have $2.12 that's just been sitting in my checking account for weeks doing nothing. Just think if I took half of it and put a dollar six cents into mutual bonds and took the other half and invested it in a CD?  Or I could diversify my portfolio and go in three different directions ... put part into mutual bonds, part into a CD and part into carefully chosen real estate options. I've heard swamp land is cheap in Las Vegas and going for next  to nothing.

My  friend laughed and said she had actually thought about asking him to help with her money too, then realized she didn't have any for him to help her work with. I told her maybe we should approach him together and he would just give us some money and THEN tell us what to do with it! It's not so bad for my friend, she is only thirty and starting a family. Tim and I were broke when we were thirty and got married.

We rose through the Blue Collar ranks slowly and hit the six figure mark in our forties. Right before I hit fifty the bottom fell out but at least we haven't always been poor.

I was chatting with a table at  work the same day. Super nice family with three boys. Massey went to elementary school with the oldest boy. He goes to a private school now and his mom was asking me what Massey's plans were?  I told her she was college bound in less than a year and seemed on  track with all her grades. She asked me what Massey wanted to do and I told her it seems she wants to be another starving artist.

She  survived being a starving Cotton for over three years so at least she is mentally prepared. Photography is another passion and the one I tend to nudge her towards. She has a keen eye and captures incredible moments with her camera. She also wants to do some type of therapy with kids and can easily incorporate the art and photography, plus she is amazing with young kids.

Of course as usual I am just trying to put a funny spin on my problems,  but it works best for me. Why cry over spilt milk?

I can still laugh because my family and many many friends helped us over the hurdles when I couldn't. They cheered me on as I worked day after day after day and kept me going with gifts of money, food and love. It was embarrassing at times but a humbling experience.

You get what you  give. You reap what you sow. I am not a perfect person but simply one who always tries to do the right thing...and if you do God will take care of you.

It's getting better, and even I am amazed at how far we have come. There are no guarantees in life and if you think there are, you are a mis guided human being.

Life is kinda like marriage vows. It's for better or worse, richer or poorer, in sickness and in health...and definitely til death do you part!

I'm just trying to hang in there like millions of others. I am one of the lucky ones..I have a house, not  a grand one but one with a roof. I have a husband who loves me and three kids who have given me many fits but a hundred times more joy. I have three pups who make me laugh at least ten times a day. I have friends that I could call any time at any hour and they would be there for me. I have a sister and brother that haven't blocked my number and still love this ole gal.

I'd say I am doing pretty good at managing my affairs...Cotton style!

Til next time...COTTON







No comments: