Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Four Dollar Investment

Actually had another day off (so I thought) and I cut grass til it was time to pick up Massey from school. We swung by work so I could pick up my paycheck...a whopping $23.00 for two weeks of work, working forty hours a week. I used to never get a check and since it was nil there was nothing left to take out state tax. Last year I owed state $1500. I  talked with a customer who is a CPA. They looked at my pay stub and said to change my exemptions to three instead of one. Low and behold there is enough to take out state tax and I usually get a small check too. I kinda understand how and why (not really) but it's nice to have a small  check to buy a little gas or pick up  a couple of things at the grocery store.

This was around 4PM.

When we parked out back of the restaurant the bartender was at her car and asked if I was going back home before work? I said I was off and she "I hate to tell you but you're in at five."

For Pete's sake! I guess I just had a brain fart or that hamster fell asleep in  that little wheel again. I checked my order pad that I keep stuck between the car seats and where I write my schedule down.

I WAS working the five o'clock shift!
Well ain't THAT some poop?

Took my little check and put gas in my car to make the low fuel light go off and took Massey back to the house. Driving for thirty minutes with the top down had blown all the grass clippings out of my hair and I had taken a shower yesterday evening. YEP... I'm good to go!

I put on  little make up and grabbed a skirt and shirt and headed into work.

It was slow but since I thought I had the day off , it was all gravy to me.  Len (my boss) has been sick for a week but of course still put in his usual ninety five hour work week. He's better but he's been grumpy. It doesn't help that his wife relentlessly berates him...constantly. Unfortunately I treat Tim much the same way. We had a big fight the other morning when both racing to get ready for work at the same time.

I'll admit it. I was a bitch. Tim is a man of few words...he suddenly had plenty.

He was right, on every point and sometimes you need to have the truth thrown at you in a blunt way to make you see the whole picture. (I've been VERY nice since then)

Barb is ten years older than me so I fully expect her to be further down the "Bitter Wife" path...Kudos to her for making it that far!

Tonight I was standing by the office where Len was on the computer. She leaned in and said "Wrap it up now, mister."  I expected to turn and see him playing the ponies online or reading Fox News.

He was doing the schedule for the staff. When Barb walked off I saw  him wipe both of his hands down his face and exhale slowly but loudly. I calmly said to him "Ya know Len, it's probably a good thing you and Tim don't know each other any better...to which he instantaneously interrupted me and replied emphatically "Tell me about it!"

I told Len he and Tim would have already researched discounts for "Two-fer" hit men on the Internet.

I told Len when I checked out in the office later that I had a secret Power Ball ticket for tonight and if I hit the $308,000,000 I would give him a million and Tim a million. Len calmly said "No one would ever see me again...EVER."

My Lotto winning scenario plays out this way in my head.

I can see Tim and Len on a golf course somewhere in Aruba. They'd be  drinking a cold one, slapping each other on the back and saying..."And I left her a note on  the kitchen counter that said I'd be back in thirty minutes."

I actually bought another ticket on  the way home from work. I know my odds aren't good but I COULD win.

I could pay back so many people who have been so generous to me and my family over the past few years. I could take care of my sister and brother for life and up my standing in  the sibling status.

Heck, I could buy a publishing company and print my OWN book!

I could get all my male pup's check ups and shots.... and even hire them some bitches!

It would change my life, save my marriage and bring my blood pressure down. I'm not counting on it, but it would be nice.

If I don't win, that's okay too. At least the fantasy has reminded me that I have made it this far. I've had lots of help but in other shoes would do  the the same.

I'm still here and kicking. I wake up every day...some people don't. I struggle but some how make it happen. It's day by day, shift by shift and tip by tip.

There are millions and millions MORE destitute.

I think I have already won.

Til next  time...COTTON




No comments: