Friday, May 6, 2016

The Law of Averages

Not a bad average. I've been at this job for a little over two years and had two bad shifts. Tonight was one of them.

On the up side I made well over two hundred dollars , double what you make on a street side shift but get spoiled at the airport by walking out phat most nights banking three sometimes four and over. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for every dime I make and actually feel as if  totally earn every one of them.

I'm not the greatest person, wife, mother, sister or even grandmother but can say with almost firm conviction that am pretty stinking good at my job. I show up on time, almost always early and always look the part of a server in a five star restaurant. I work continuously and consistently from the time I clock in until the time I clock out.

It's been crazy busy lately  (thankful for it) but gets pretty exhausting after a while if you work like I do. Some (a few) people show up for work whenever it's convenient for them. It's only five or ten, sometimes twenty minutes late but tends to grate on your nerves when you're always on time (usually early) and look pretty sharp for a chick well over half a century old.

This is not just an observation of my current place but an observation of every place I've worked in the past thirty six (almost thirty seven) years.

It's like they feel it's not a real job but rather ends to their own need ... while I  consider it my profession (hence the professional look and attitude) take pride in my performance and consider my job the end to the customer's need.

It doesn't always get under my skin but did tonight. I try and constantly remind myself I make hand over foot more than slackers because of my own way of thinking but sometimes drives me insane they're even allowed to have  the same opportunity and want to sometimes "choke a bitch".

I think it's starting to be time to get out of the business.

I'm well over halfway done with my life and think it's time to make me happy.

I told my manager tonight before I left I'd come in tomorrow and be a happier person. I'm always a great server but tonight wasn't a happy person.

Younger people today just don't get "reap what you sow" or have any concept of paying forward. It's all about them and their wants (which they consider needs).

Let's see how far that gets them when my age.

After this month I have twelve weeks left as as server here in the ATL.

I can not only do this,  but knock it out of the park and walk away a winner.

I almost feel sorry for them.

They just don't get it.




Waking up with a new attitude and doing it again.

Til next time...COTTON

No comments: